Peavey T40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Jul 6, 2002.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    OK, fess up....who has/had/digs these albatrosses(sp)?

I am so nostalgic over these planks.
  2. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to own one, and will again someday. Heavier than anything else I have ever played, but there are a lot of cool tones lurking in those wacky electronics.
  4. Got one hiding in the closet with an Allparts replacement neck, got it for free with a broken trussrod, got the neck for $75.00. What a deal.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I had one for six months, a burgundy '83 model. I'd love to see a five-string re-issue, though.
  7. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I had a T40. It was about 1979-80. I HATED that bass. It wouldn't play in tune and all of its 14,000,000,000,000 sounds were terrible. I'm getting the creeps just thinking about it. Sold it to some poor sucker for $150.00. Took the money and put it toward a G&L L2000. It was like I had found bass nirvana after that Peavey POS!
    I have ranted about my Peavey T40 experience before and I just couldn't resist another chance to take pot shots at it!
    Don't mean to make any of you T40 fans mad, but my T40 experience was a negative one that scarred me for life! Sorry if I offended anyone.
  8. Yeap! I had one of them back in 79 or so..... It was my first real bass:D I was like 16 and that bass was like a freaking lead weight..and it had all those crazy knobs and sh#t.. Really it sounded good enough !!!!. But six months later I traded it in on a used 72 Fender Jazz,, Sweet!!!!! and sour! becaues like a dumb ass I sold the Fender when I went off to College.....Damn!!!!!:(
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My friend had a T40. I played it for a couple hours. Didn't seem that heavy to me...
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You'd know if you had played one of the heavy ones, Brendan;)

I had one for a few years and have no complaints about it. It was a surprisingly well thought out, well constructed bass.The hardware was very nice, electronics way ahead of their time. If you find an early, heavy one they can be bargains.

Just curious Ineal, what did you do to fix the not staying in tune problem? Mine was rock solid. Also, I'll ask the obvious question... how did you end up with one?
  11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Bought a brand new one in 82 or 83. I dug the hardware and electronics options (especially the cool "pickups out of phase/in phase" switch). However, the neck went south on me in about a year or so.
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I bought one in 1983, still own it, though I rarely admit to it.

One man's trash, another man's treasure...:rolleyes:
  13. My first bass was my uncles 79 natural Peavey T-40. It's like holding a solid oak door when you're playing it. I have the original case that came with it too. I don't play it much anymore but I love the solid sound that comes from it. A lot of sustain and an onslaught of tones. It stays in tune through everything. I would probably play it more if it weren't so heavy.
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    As far as the tuning problem went it was more of a consistency problem up and down the neck. I realize that no fretted bass will be exactly in tune from fret to fret and string to string, but this thing was b-a-d. It started out ok and got progressively worse with time. The neck had twisted, I found out. I fixed it by selling it!

How did I end up with it? Call it youthful ignorance. I was trying a then new '79 Precision when the salesman said "Here. Try this one". The T40 had knobs and switches up the wazoo while the Fender had only two....... and with me being 18 all those controls were calling my name! Well, I should have bought the Fender! My dad, also a musician, was with me and tried to tell me, but nooooo!
    Thus was my T40 saga.
  15. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Funny stories guys..........LOL...really.

Hey no offense taken, I know these are lovem/hatem basses.

If anyone has one that they hate, sell it to me!