1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonathan1990, May 13, 2010.

1. Hi, I've run across an ad for one: 1981 USA, all original, little wear & tear, serial number 00742675. I think I could get it for €350-380 (about $440-475), here's a link: http://link.marktplaats.nl/341004113.
    The seller says it's a collector's item.
    What do you think?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    That's high. At least by the price of what they're selling for here in the U.S.

3. That's about the average go-ing price for a t40 these days.

I did have GAS for a t40... until i played one. I'm just not a 2 pup guy. I, personally, preffer the t20 and t45. However, t40s are awesome if it's your thing and you will find PLENTY of people singing their praises here on TB.

I'd jump on that one if it's your thing. I don't think i've seen one with a burst like that! I hope it plays as nice as it looks!!

4. Thanks for the posts, and indeed, the burst is appealling, but is it original? What about the second switch above the knobs? I'm not all psyched about it because it's supposed to be all original, but the guy says it is, so I'd like to know if he's telling the truth. Can anyone give me confirmation on that?
    I'm going to try it out anyway, see if it plays and feels (and sounds) nice.

5. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    I've never seen a T-40 with that second toggle switch next to the first one. I highly doubt that's original. In fact, if you look at both of them closely, I can guarantee they aren't original. T-40's had those funky flatted level toggle switches. The ones on that bass are the barrel kind. Compare them to the phase toggle switch at the back, and you'll see what I mean. So there's been some kind of mod done under the pickguard, to be sure.

Also, I wouldn't be too sure about that finish. It's incredibly glossy for an instrument that's going on 30 years old. I've got a '78 T-40 that's about as flat as flat can get.

Oh, and I'd say that's on the high side for a T-40. They regularly go between $250-$300 on eBay here.

6. Allright, the guy emailed me back, and the bass hasn't been refinished, but he admits that the extra switch is to switch to single coil. But why mod a bass and never play it? It all seems too shiny, even the back plate seems to show no scratches.
    I think I'm going to ask for some pictures of the serial number and electronics.

7. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    I think the finish is ok (I believe they call it Sienna Burst?)--I had a sunburst T40 and the first time I took it to practice the guitarist commented "It's so shiny!" It was a 1981.

Here is a pic:

ry%3D400.

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    They definately had that finish stock. As for price, as far as I know T40's are pretty rare overseas and do demand a higher price. The double seitch is definatly after market so it's definatly a try-before-you-buy thing. If everything checks, I think the price is ok. The other problem is that the T-40 goes into single-coil mode when the tone knobs are above 7 so if that is truely a single coil mod, the modder probably didn't know anything about the bass.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I dunno if I'd call it a collectors piece, I'd play the hell out of it though! T-40's are heavy, but they are great sounding and playing basses.

10. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    1. Finish is probably original
    2. Extra switches are aftermarket mods that may be cool but significantly lower the price from "collector" to "player"
    3. Price is a way high in USA for a "player"
    4. That color is regular 3-tone sunburst. Sienna looks like this (with stock switches and knobbery):

P1170335.

11. Great, thanks for the info! One last question: does the truss rod adjustment take place under the pickguard like with a precision?

12. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Nope...there's a cover on the headstock.

P1170338.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Super heavy bro. Like 11 lbs.

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    No- trussrod adjustment is at the peghead.

Also- I think there is some confusion about the pics in this thread. You're considering the one in the link in your original post right? That IS "Sienna Burst" and is a stock finish but a rare one.
    The pic posted by "Knigel" is a different bass with a "regular" sunburst finish-thats NOT the one you're investigating.

Also, like someone else said, those 2 small switches are absolutely NOT stock. And if there are only coil-splitters, they are redundant because the original tone knobs accomplish that function. Also- since those are non-stock switches, the pickguard is also very likely a replacement because it doesnt have the hole for the single 3 way switch that would normally be pretty much where the 2 mini switches are.

15. I've noticed, but it's not there in the ad, and I can't see the nut from this angle.

16. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    The confusion was all mine. When I looked at the photo posted, I just assumed that it was the same as the OP's bass in question. I agree that it definitely IS "Sienna Burst", a rare stock finish. Both have switch mods (albeit different ones), which as KJ points out, are not necessary.

Finally, if you look closely at the photos of the correct bass in question's headstock, you can see the truss rod adjustment there...it's just missing a cover.

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The truss rod cover is missing on the bass in the ad. As others have said, don't buy this. The price is too high for a bass that someone has modified.

18. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

IT's been modified.. 2nd era...

Pickguards are available through aftermarket...

The switch indicates the owner did not know about the bass.

Finish is original.. mine looked like this when it left.

19. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Yeah, those trussrod covers go missing quite a lot. I bought a 79 T-40 2 years ago and there was no trussrod cover on mine either.

I have to echo what a lot of people are saying-if that bass was here in the US, I highly doubt it would sell for what they are asking, even though it is a pretty rare finish color. If it was all stock, then maybe it would be worth what they're asking. But since its obviously modified, its wouldnt be worth as much.
    Of course, you're in Europe and I dont know how common these basses are over there so that could drive your price somewhat higher.
    They are absolute tone monsters though. They can do a excellent heavy "thudding" tone and a lot of people claim they can get a very Rickenbacker-esque tone as well. I love mine, thats for sure!

20. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    I bought my heavily modded sunburst for 185. The condition wasn't great, but the mods certainly reduced the price. The Sienna is a fairly rare finish (not as rare as my old wine burst T45, which I have never seen another of) and that increases the value a bit...but modded without a truss rod cover? Seems very high to me.

Here is a pic of my old t45. Just because I like showing off it's rare (? ok maybe not that rare) beauty.

Peavey_T45_CU2.