1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey TB RAXX preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PatrickEdmonds, Nov 22, 2006.

1. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    anyone have one? is it good for cheap.

2. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    bump

3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Not many were sold, so you may have a hard time getting info about them.

I worked in Peavey service for 2 years, and never even saw one in person. I would like to try one, though.

I've been told they are not so great.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Heck, I've never even heard of it!

5. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    bump

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used one several times for rehearsals with a big R and B group. There were a few of these preamps around Toronto used in a couple shops for a short while. It's a good preamp. The controls are tiny and a bit hard to see, but it's very flexible and had a nice warm sound. One time it was through a Crown power ampo and another time through a Peavey DPC. I think it's every bit as good as most of the tube preamps from that era. More flexible than the Alembic I used to own. As good as the Ampeg, I'd say. If you can get one at a good price you'll be happy. They don't break down often from what a couple owners told me, and these guys were playing 4 nights a week. The ones I used were dead quiet. They are much sought after around here by guys who want good sound but don't want to pay a grand.

Edit to add--Bass Player did a review of one some time ago and gave it a mediocre review in their typical arrogant manner. Not hi fi enough for their golden ears. After playing one I disagreed completely. Nice warm sound and you could get it clean and sparkling enough if you want.

7. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    Thanks a lot this really helped.

8. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    I can get it for $100 Canadian, seems reasonable.

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's a good price. Even if you have to replace a tube you're ahead of the game.

Enjoy it.