Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TKO 115 watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_Man61, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Bass_Man61

Bass_Man61

Jul 18, 2005
    I am looking at this amp on ebay but dont know much about it other than the description states that its in "like new condition" . I have been a drumer for about 26 years and can talk drums all day ,but I have only played Bass for 3 years now . Up until now I have used the amp at my church . This will be my first amp and I was hoping someone could tell me a little about this amp :help:
    I tried looking for a web site but that didnt help much .Any help would be usefull at this point .Thanks :confused:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    post us a link to the auction - that would help.

overall (IMO) the older 80's ones were great. but giev us a link.

3. It should be fine, peaveys are tanks, the only thing i'd be a little suspicious of is the guys low feedback, he's only got one, at least its + tho, it should be fine tho

4. chrisb7601

chrisb7601

Aug 30, 2005
    That's supposed to be a great small combo amp, but I never tried it.

For that price you can't hardly go wrong, although it is used and on ebay which would make me pause.

I am especially skeptical about the "bought for $150 new." That amp goes for $470 in my neck of the woods...

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The TKO 115 is rated 75Watts IIRC. Good amp, although I prefer old Kiss look alike logo ones...

ANDRUCA

6. It could have been $150 new because it looks like one of the olderish ones, could have been a clearout to get the new faced ones in?

And yeah, the spikey logo's are cool :)

7. Bass_Man61

Bass_Man61

Jul 18, 2005
    Well for better or worse I won the auction . I will post on how it turns out . Thanks for the advice

8. I wouldn't care about how much feedback someone has. Everyone has to start somewhere... :smug:

(Unless they have a lot of negative FB)

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The Peavey TKO 115's are 80 watts as far as I know. The ones with the Scorpion speaker sound better than the ones with the Sheffield speaker. They are heavy.

10. Bass_Man61

Bass_Man61

Jul 18, 2005
    so what do watts equate to exactly as far as the sound goes . do more watts mean louder? :confused:

11. The more watts, the louder it is. It also shows how clear your notes will be. a 80 watt amp will sound better than a 15 watt.

12. Not true at all, generally more watts means its louder, it does not mean it will sound better (compair an 80 watt SS combo and i wouldnt find it sounding better than a 20 watt valve combo)
    Also depends to an extent on how efficient the speakers are, but, im probably just being anal here :smug:

would you feel fine buying a brand new £3k custom bass from someone with little/no feedback :p
    ive just seen a fair share of low feedback/no feedback buyers who have turned out to be cons, there are always people like that who ruin things for everyone else :(

13. Bass_Man61

Bass_Man61

Jul 18, 2005
    would you feel fine buying a brand new £3k custom bass from someone with little/no feedback
    ive just seen a fair share of low feedback/no feedback buyers who have turned out to be cons, there are always people like that who ruin things for everyone else

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Are there any TKOs with 15" Sheffields? I'd love to try one. Both mine are Scorpions (no complains), but I tried a 410TVX with Sheffields and despite the horrible harshy tweeter (maybe wrong hi-pass point) I loved the supernatural lows it delivered!

ANDRUCA

15. there are indeed, a friend of mine has one, altho i didnt know the shefields were and different to the scorpions :s

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have a TKO115 that is "Sheffield Equipped" - It does have nice lows, and it's not a bad little amp at all. I had a friend who also had a Peavey TKO115, his had the Scorpion speaker - it also had an overdrive channel that you would engage by pulling one of the knobs (I forget which) …but he had that amp for well over a year before somebody else pulled that knob and showed him what it did. Mine doesn't have that. So, if you get a TKO 115 - pull your knobs and see if they do anything or not.

17. Bass_Man61

Bass_Man61

Jul 18, 2005
    Someome told me that the TKO can also be used as a keyboard amp, or that it was a keyboard amp that could be used as a bass amp . Does anyone know about this?

18. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I owned one for a while. It's a nice Rock and Roll amp. The outputs were noisy but that's what DI boxes and Mics are for

19. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The TKO line of products appear under the "bass amplification" denomination both at Peavey's website and int their catalogs. But they can surely be user with keyboards (maybe the addition of some tweeter improves it -also for bass!-). But where these gadgets absolutely rock is for clean or slightly overdriven guitars. Several reviewers at Harmony-Central share this opinion too. You can't really understand how good it can be until you try one with a Telecaster's neck pickup! Amazing!

ANDRUCA