Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TKO 65

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Oct 11, 2002.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    anyone know about this amp? Someone ditched one near my studio - it sounded fried. But i took it home, cleaned it up a bit and now it sounds terrific. Just a weird input connection needed to be tweaked.

It is Black Widow equipped - but I am wondering if anyone here has ever played one, owned one, etc. I am not sure if I should sell it or keep it - I do need a practice amp.
    anyone know what it is worth USD?
    thanks,
    erik

2. i just recently got a tko 65 for my b-day and I really like it. mine has good tone and is quite loud.

Mine was at $250 but i talked the owner down to $200 and i think it a great value

Andy

3. I've had mine for what seems like forever and I'll probably keep it till it dies. There's lots of tone shaping available and the BW 15 is good sounding speaker. Weighs a ton though. Cheers

4. JGover1

JGover1

Dec 15, 2008
    I am considering buying this amp as I like the reviews and have seen one advertised within driving distance. However, I am having difficulty finding out how much it weighs. Several reviews talk about its heaviness. Can anybody help?

Thanks

5. I had one back in the day and I think it is a VERY good amp.. esp. with the Black Widow

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I also had one, back in the 80's. It's a workhorse, and will last forever.

7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I had a TKO 80 back in the day. I bought it dirt cheap as it had a blown speaker. It played but sounded like a distortion pedal on steroids and crack!

The local shop put in a larger Back Widow and I could still kick myself today for selling that thing! It was a tank. It weighed as much as a tank, it was built like a tank and hit like a tank sound wise!

The 65 with a Black Widow should be an awesome amp.

8. JGover1

JGover1

Dec 15, 2008
    Well, I took a chance and bought the TKO 65... sight unseen (except for EBay photos)..Gulp.. I pick it up Saturday (if I have the strength..I hear it's heavy!) Will post how I like it--or not. However, I'm excited ..as I mentioned before that I am a bass newbie. When you spend most of your life playing an acoustic guitar...this elecronic stuff is pretty amazing!! Be that as it may, I did play tuba eons ago in high school.

9. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    I bought one in 1983; it was my first bass amp. It was kinda hard to play electric bass without it. It was a well-used amp for about 6 years. I took the head out and put it in its own little cab I built for it which its still in. The original speaker (not a Black Widow unfortunately) is hanging in the garage (still good) and the original cabinet is also in the garage. I wasn't really happy with the cab. Its made of high density particle board and weighs a ton, even though the speaker isn't that heavy nor is head.

Its definitely a keeper.

Lloyd Howard

10. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    That was my first bass amp at the age of 13, I am now 35, I still have it and it still sounds as good as it did the day I bought it. Never had ANY problems with it, will hand it down to my children some day.

11. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Howell NJ
    I bought one 3 years ago. Used, really used. Early 80's model, I assume. It lasted till 2 weeks ago when it was moved from the practice room to the car port for an outdoor practice. Someone other than me moved it. It has stopped working. I have no idea why. I assumed it was dropped or it fell. Anyway, it is about 25 years old and I bet it is an easy fix.
    Plenty loud, good sound for a band rehearsal. Will be enough for a small show too.
    I will buy another if I can't fix this one.

Ken R

12. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Excuse the bass in front, this is the only pic I could find.

13. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I have a TKO 80 with a 15 inch Black Widow. It's an old one, but I don't know how old. I still use it at home for practice. My other rig is at the band rehearsal space. It has a great tone, and it puts out a lot of volume for 80 watts. I does weigh a lot and only has one handle on the top, so it's not easy to move around. Seems indestructable.
    It's a keeper.

14. JGover1

JGover1

Dec 15, 2008
    Dear All,
    Thanks for all the comments about the Peavey TKO 65. I picked mine up yesterday, bought unseen on EBay and I based my purchase largely on your comments. Because it was a "pickup only-no shipping", I had the opportunity to meet the seller. Neat story- her father bought her a guitar and this amp when she was 13 at an air force base. He didn't realize there is a difference in amps used for regular guitars and basses. She never took up the guitar and the amp sat in their basement unused... for 26 years (her nephew apparently used it some this summer). I am therefore the recipient of a mint condition amp, for less than $110!! Sweet. I have only had a short time to mess around with it, but I love it. Again-thanks for your frank and helpful comments!!

15. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Howell NJ
    I was right. The TKO lives again! I found about 7 cracked solder joints on the circuit board. All were where the input jacks join the board. Resolder and PRESTO! Working TKO again. The circuit board had a hand written date of 1-91 on it.
    18 years old.

No one admits to dropping or banging it, but who cares? It works again.

Good for another 18 years!

Ken R

16. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    Sorry for the necropost, but I figured I might as well instead of making a new thread. I also am wondering how much it weighs. I've heard it's heavy, but wanted to know just how much it weighs. Does anybody have an actual number?

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    it's somewhere around 50 lbs, not too extreme at all.

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
  19. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    My first bass amp was a TKO 65 wonderful sounding amp heavy as hell though. the one handle on the top made if miserable to carry at 13yrs old.

20. my school had one