1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey TKO 80 or Peavey TKO 115S?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Esenino, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Esenino

Esenino

Jun 6, 2010
    Im looking to buy a bass amp and was wondering if The peavey TKO 80 or the peavey TKO 1150? would any of them be good enough for small gigs? which one is better?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What are the specs for each? Whichever of the 2, if either, can add an ext cab,..that's the 1 I'd pick. More speakers always trumps more power when looking for volume. Check for an ext spkr jack, and list wattage, spkr compliment, etc.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I used to run a TKO 115 back in the day, never had a problem keeping up with a couple stacks, especially on gig day when you D.I out from the amp.

I will warn you though, it weighed a ton, did not like hauling to into and out of certain venues.

bass nitro likes this.
  4. Esenino

Esenino

Jun 6, 2010
    I'm not sure im just looking through craiglist the TKO 115s is $150 and the other is $100

5. I'd go for the 115S. I have a TKO80, nice little amp for practicing and rehearsal, but there is no extension speaker jack, and the actual power output is between 45 - 60 watts (depending on which THD spec you want to go by), and the cab really benefits from porting as it is small for the speaker size. I have used it for gigs both with and without PA support, but we are not a loud band. The 115S has more power, a better speaker, and a better cabinet design.

6. Esenino

Esenino

Jun 6, 2010
    Here's what the description said, don't know if the scorpion makes a difference

It's had some mileage and is a bit scuffed bu fine when last used. Also, there's a scorpion inside. $100 OBO I need to sell this thing fast. It's in my car. If you are inte make me an offer. Thanks!

7. Scorpions are not really bass speakers.

8. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Peavey Used Scorpions in Some of their Better sounding Subs.

9. I think you mean Black Widows.

Scorpions are not really even bass speakers, and I can't recall ever seeing an 18" one

10. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    I use my friend's one about rehearse - all above it is true,plus it is muddy like hell.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I have 3 old Peavey combos, a TKO75, a TKO80 (both Scorpion) and a TNT 115 (BW) and any of them is more than capable of handling gigs with two 4x12" guitar stacks. Wether back when I used a clean tone or now using a rather dirty SansAmp sound they handled it all with notable authority and headroom. I hardly ever move my (1x15+4x10) stack out of the rehearse room. In fact I have a second (2x15+4x10) stack I'm thinking of selling as I don't remotely see a use for it.

bass nitro likes this.
  12. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I did not say anything about 18" anything. I did say they did in fact(according to their website) use scorpions in some of their better sounding subs. Those Huge 15" and 18" mud machines were not their better sounding subs. I am not sure but I believe their line was TLS. Much smaller box, And sounded deep without mud but decent definition and punch. They did not go as low as the Huge ones but they sounded very good.

bass nitro likes this.