Peavey TKO 80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.R.1, Feb 27, 2006.

1. J.R.1

Aug 7, 2004
    Anyone use these amps? Got a chance to pick up one and wanted to know if these are good ones or not. Thanx
  2. I have a TKO 75 I bought new in 1988 or 89. I don't know what the difference is between the TKo 75 an 80 are. Mine has a 7 band Eq. This amp is indestructable. The tone however, is not that great IMO. I recently bought a New Ashdown Mag 300 Combo. So in my life I have owned 2 amps.
    I still have the Peavey in my bedroom and use it as a practice amp. I think you will find they are great for that if you want to gig it's ok as a monitor but you will want more if you are not going through the board.
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have a Peavey TKO 115 (80 watts & 1 x 15" speaker) and I have to agree with canadian bass - the tone is not so special. Mine has a Shefield speaker (it has a badge on the speaker grill that states this) buddy used to have a TKO that was basicaly the same amp, but his had a Scorpian speaker and also an overdrive or reverb or chorus or some sort of effect built in that was activated by pulling on one of the knobs... sorry, scetchy memory there and mine doesn't have it... the point is - the TKO with the Scorpian Speaker sounded much better than mine with the Shefield. YMMV
  4. if it's anything like my TKO 65, it'll be loud as hell, have a $h!tload of thump, but won't be that clear sounding. basically if you want to get the snappy punk/crust/metal metallic sound, you'll have to look at a better preamp before it gets that close. lately nowadays I use a TNT 130 which carries a much better tone (almost any metallic clean sound) and seems almost as thick (i don't know if its lacking in extra lows because it's on wheels and that brings the amp off ground level or whatever)
  5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I owned a TKO 75 for many years and canadian bass has described it perfectly...