Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TKO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kwelch28, May 10, 2001.

1. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    How do I get a good slap sound out of a Peavey TKO combo amp?

2. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    This will probably get moved to the "amps" forum. Heres what I do , Boost the highs and lows and cut the mids.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't have a TKO, but from my understanding it works best if you keep all your settings level, for slap.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You don't! :( ;)
    Although, the meaning of "good slap sound" is subjective. You might want to try some type of outboard E.Q. device, but (IMO) it's difficult to get a "good" slap sound out of a 1x15" combo without a high frequency speaker (horn). YMMV. Good Luck.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i second the "you don't" comment.

i still have one, and my old 76 Ampeg B-15 had TONS better slap sound. and even that sounded bad compared to the hartke kickback combo i play on alot. (and of course, my SWR rig owns everything ;) )

but i can try to help...set the "shelving" controls flat, turn the contour off, turn the graphic eq off, and hit the bright switch with the bass at 2 o'clock and treble at 1 o'clock.

that's my favorite slap sound out of that amp. but it still isn't much.

jason

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    A BlackWidow speaker should have alot more highs than an ampeg 15?!?!?!?! Does the TKO have a Sheifeild?

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    BassMasterG, you're correct. A BW would sound a lot better. Although the TKO's Peavey's lowest model of combos, so it only has a Sheffield.

8. gowerski

gowerski

Nov 27, 2000
    I have a TKO 115 with a 15" black widow. i like the way it sounds. but i have only played on my amp and the schools one (identical to mine except it has a scorpion 15" speaker) But it sounds good imo.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I also share the "if it doesn't have a horn, don't slap through it" attitude.

10. The Navigator

The Navigator

May 17, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    You don't X4 :)

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If it has a BW speaker in it, it'd be fine to slap through. The BW's get a good amount of highs. (seriously... even though they're 15's they can still get great highs.)

12. I agree with WarwickS5. I have both a TKO 115 with a Sheffield and a TNT150 with a Black Widow. The BW gives a much better sound if you are stuck with 1 x 15" speaker. You could try Peavy.com and download a copy of the manual and tips. You will need adobe and it shows setting on the amps to obtain particular sounds.