1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey TKO80 cutting out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dksurf, Oct 14, 2010.

1. dksurf

dksurf

Oct 14, 2010
    Need a little advice here. I have a TKO80, had it since about 1983 and the thing has always worked great as a practice amp. It just started cutting out on me, mostly when I play loud. Changed cables and cracked open. Other than some cobwebs that I cleaned out, the circuits at least look fine.

the only thing that may need replacing is the speaker which is the original 12' Scorpion. I was about to replace it anyway but now just considering whether to just buy another combo. I hate to part with something but dont want to throw good money at it if its a lost cause.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You may have finally killed the spkr. ANY amp through ANY one single spkr, is destined to be blown with volume and excessive low eq.

3. check the tang on the jack receptacle....over time the weight of a cord can bend it so that it does not make good contact.....if the jack feels loose just bend the tang back into place...i just did that to my mexi-j and it cured the cutting out

4. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have a Peavey Combo 300 and I had issues of it cutting out, the problem was the Molex connectors ( These are the connectors that link/plug the assorted circuit boards together )were the issue, I had my tech retention them and it solved my issue, also on the Peavey combos in general ,the speaker connection from the circuit board is always suspect as it will work loose and produce a intermittent issue

5. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

+1

6. dksurf

dksurf

Oct 14, 2010
    Going to look into all of that today. I have to say that I was pretty surprised at how small the speaker wires were. Dont know much about gauges and resistance, etc. It just seemed odd to me that they were the same size as my computer speaker wire!

Thanks for all the help.

7. dksurf

dksurf

Oct 14, 2010
    Problem solved. I think it was the tang after all. Thanks