Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TL-5 dilemna, should I or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rdhbass, Apr 18, 2004.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I thought i'd start this thread so that someone who knows these basses could help me. I have been on a quest for a good fiver and have been hooked on getting a Peavey TL-5 because i had tried one many years ago and it was beyond my reach financially. I have found one in a store, but it is one of the older models (1986) and the pickups, and knobs look exactly like a dyna bass. Does this bass sound like a dyna bass or better? I just wonder how reliable this old active preamp is. Should I wait to buy the newer TL-5's which are probably better? Thanks guys, maybe some of you have tried both and can tell me some info.
    R.H.

2. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Ummm they don't make TL-5 anymore. You should get a Peavey Cirrus or Peavey Millenium... Both top notch basses.

On ebay Cirrus (neck through) go for $800-$900 and Millenium (Bolt on) go for $500-$600

Joe

P.S. Both better than dyna. Both active. Both top notch.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    The reason I was asking is I can get one for $300 used which is a good deal considering these went for like 1100 new back in the day. TL-5's were awesome neck throughs which were before the cirrus and millinium. A Cirrus to me has a very thin and wide neck, which a TL-5 is probably rounder profile. Oh well thanks for the advice.
    R.H.

4. i had a peavey tl-5 for a few weeks... I HATED IT... i thought it was a terrible bass, so bad that i have almost no faith in peaveys old stuff... but thats just me, if youve plugged it in and you like it go for it, 300 is what i paid for mine with a hardshell case... im not sure if you are talking about a local store or not... in any case if its local and you like it, get it... if not at that price it could be worth trying because you can get your money back on it if you dont like it... they routinely sell for 300+ on ebay

5. Time for another opinion-go for the TL-5 that you like and that price is very right. If you really need to you can change out the pickups and eletronics but I still use my stock Dyna5 and the sound is very modern to my ears and the bass records very well. I also have a TL-6 that is the only 6 I ever liked the feel of and can coax about any tone I need out of it.

6. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    So bassbrad you use a Dyna 5? Okay cool. I think the TL-5 i was looking at uses the dyna 5 electronics. later.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I owned a TL-5 in the early 1990s. It had the soapbar style humbuckers and a three band active preamp. The bass was very easy to play and I was able to set it up with very low action.

By today's standards, the preamp is pretty crappy. The pickups and the routing make it somewhat difficult to swap out pickups.

Unless this bass that you're looking at has some "to die for" playability, I respectfully suggest that you keep looking.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to have an active Dyna-5. The early TL-5 models had the same single coil pickups and preamp as the Dyna-Bass 5. It's fine. Certainly better than the kind of cheap EQ found on lots of moden sub-$500 basses. I didn't like the sound of mine because it was too "modern" for my changing styles, but I everything about the bass was fine. I say go for it. Nice bass.

9. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I have an older TL5 with the old style "dynabass" pickups. I put a Bartolini preamp in mine (kept the original pickups) and it worked out great. Real good modern tone. They're very well built basses IMO.

Tapp