Peavey TL-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vcat, Oct 17, 2004.

1. vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Hey, everybody,

I found a Peavey TL-5 in one of the local pawn shops. It is in rather rough condition - the jack and pots probably need to be replaced, and it is pretty banged up. The body and the neck are in very playable condition, PU's are in working order too. So the question is - wether it is worth to buy this bass for about 200 or less and fix it up, or should I leave it alone and look for a project bass somewhere else? Keeping in mind, that 10 years ago it listed for $1500, it might be a very good bass once fixed. Any input on these basses? Has anyone owned this model? How much would the jack and pots for this model parts cost?

Thanks in advance -

2. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Go for it. Peavey instruments are incredible value for money.

The Tim Landers signature bass was their top of the line model back in the day and still a killer buy. But do have a luthier fix it up for you. Peavey replacement parts aren't had to come by, Peavey itself will happily supply you.
  3. VK: I second the opinion to get the TL-5. I had one for several years when it was very unfashionable to play a Peavey. I regret having sold it. The build quality on mine was great, it was very playable, and had a dizzying array of available sounds.

4. vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks guys for input. Yes, it is a very nice bass, but unfortunately the pawn shop must have paid too much for it, because their "best price" is still way out of tune :( I would get it in a second, if those guys were more reasonable. But unfortunately it is not the case.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow that TL on ebay is goregeous! There were two generations of TL, the first had the Dyna-Bass EQ and the Super Ferrite single coil pickups, just like my old bolt-on Dyna-Bass. The second generation had big fat humbuckers. That is a first generation, I probably drooled over that when I could only afford my Dyna-Bass 5 back in the day. I'll bet that bass kicks ass!!! Tempting...!
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to own one of these in the early 1990s. My bass played very nicely, had a very stable neck, and could be set up with ultra low action. The preamp was marginal; it was functional but didn't improve the tone tremendously.

One problem with using this as a project bass is that the pick up wells are of non-standard dimensions. You'll have to route them out further in order to install any other kind of pick up (Bart, SD, Fralins, Dimarzio, etc.). If you don't mind that aspect, go for it!