1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

peavey tl5 output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jdthebassman, Oct 6, 2013.

1. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    Hi fellow tl owners I picked up a tl 5 at my local gc it is a great playing bass the only problem is that the output is alot less than my other basses. In passive mode I get a good sound but I have to turn my amp up more same with active mode. The output gain control is all the way up. This tl5 is the first generation. As far as I can tell the bass works good just low out put.has anyone else had this problem. I going to call peavey any help would be great.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Did you put in a new battery?

3. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    yes I did it is the same way in the passive mode I did not know if this is normal for the bass. I have other basses jaydee for example that has lower output.

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Your bass has the Super Ferrite pickups. The only thing that has occured to me is the pickup height, and I can only wonder if the wiring may have experienced one or more problems.

5. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    the pickups are at normal height. I checked the board no real sign of any repairs the passive/active switch pops like it says in the owners manual, all sounds good. the gain level pot works good. could it be the pickups? has any one had this issue?

6. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    Hmm, anyone else have a TL5 with these pickups that can describe their output levels?

7. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    if someone else has one of these, the pups measure 4.8 on the meter I contacted the peavey guitar tech he thought that was the right value.

8. fivestring99

fivestring99 Old Timer

Apr 3, 2008
    The Republic Of Texas
    Mine is 2nd gen, active only. The only problem, if you want to call it that, is too much output juice. I NEVER have the volume knob much over 2/3.

9. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    Pickups are probably fine, sounds like a dying preamp to me. Those 20+ year old pre's can have caps and other electronic components go out of spec over time. Fixable by a qualified tech but that would likely cost more than installing one of the excellent modern pres such an Audere, etc. This could be the perfect excuse to upgrade your TL5! :cool:

10. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    jdthebassman....In my experience, most problems with the DynaBass type preamp are caused by solder joint failure where the pots are soldered to the PCB, by frayed/broken battery wires or a bad barrel jack. I currently have 6 basses with this preamp or a variation and have worked on others over the years.

I would first re-flow all the pot solder joints.

mech

11. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    hey guys here is the update I replaced the preamp with an audere classic 4 with the z switch, this preamp is awesome much better than the original one. thanks for all the help. peace jd.