Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TL5 string recommendations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hemitom, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    Well I took the plunge and bought my first 5 string(25 yrs on 4 strings)a nice blue quilt neck thru Peavey TL5 with a 34" scale of EBay.I have tried many string manufacturers over the years and strangely find myself always going back to Fender "Super Bass" strings on my 4's.Any suggestions for the 5 string?Fender does make a set for the five but I'm always into trying something different !:)

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I absolutely LOVE Fender "Super Bass" Nickels. They are my favorite non-tapewound string. If you like them on your 4s, my first suggestion would be to try them out on your 5. I use them on my Fender Jazz V and they sound terriffic. Big fat "B" string action!

When I had a Dyna-Bass 5 (not as nice as your TL, but nice), nothing sounded as good with it as the Peavey brand stainless steel strings. They were tough to find, too.

3. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I had the exact same thought this morning and ordered up a set of Super Bass .045-.125 7250-5M's (uses the same .100 E as I use on my Jazz).
    You mentioned tapewound,any experience with DR Black Beauties 4 or 5 string?

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nope. Just LaBella and Fender, both of which I love.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+1 on the Fender Super nickels :hyper: