1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey TL5: What is "Unity"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, Apr 15, 2010.

1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'm looking at a couple of TL5s. One is listed as being a "Unity TL5". The other just says "TL5".

What does Unity mean? Are all TL5s "Unity"?

The one that does not say Unity is definitely a newer model with VFL pickups and no passive/active switch.

The one that is listed as a Unity has crappy pictures. I think it's also a newer model, but I can't tell for sure. I can't even tell for sure what the pickups are.

Any help on what "Unity" means on a TL5 would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    First thing that came to mind:

dave-chapelle-as-rick-james1.

IIRC, the "Unity" had to do with the neck through construction..

3. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I found a manual online for the original TL5 and it says "Unity neck-thru construction" or something like that. So, I'll buy that it's related to being neck-thru. But, why would one TL5 say Unity and one not? Did they just drop the term when they changed from the older style pickups to the newer VFL pickups, but otherwise (as far as the word Unity goes) they were still the same? (i.e. it's just a change in the Marketing Dept?)

For that matter, are the older ones with the old pickups and the active/passive switch any more or less desireable than the newer ones with VFL pickups for any reason?

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think both versions are equally desirable. I don't know that the "Unity" brand name was ever used for the TL, though I believe that you saw it in a manual. "Unity" was the brand name for the 4 string neck-through Dyna-Bass.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    "Unity" was Peavey's term for Neck Through in the 80's to early 90's

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The term "unity" is misapplied when associated with a TL-5. Unity series applies to both to a bass model and a line of electronics.

As far as basses go, the "Unity Series" applies to the Dyna Bass model line. A standard Dyna Bass had a bolt-on neck with Peavey super ferrite pickups and bridge. The Unity Dyna Bass had neck-through construction with Schaller pickups and bridge.

All TL-5's have neck through construction with Peavey pickups and hardware. There is no "unity" series TL-5.

7. lolz
    I'm Rick James, *****

8. I think this is referring to the 1986-1991 series of TL5's, with the Super Ferrites and Dyna-Bass pre amp.

9. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I'm gonna' say ^this answer^ seems to fit, based on the Features in the Peavey TL-Five owner's manual.
    It lists "Unity™ Neck Thru Body Construction" as a feature.

This is the same manual that came with my TL-Five when I purchased it new back in 91.

[​IMG]

10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Unity = Neck through, all through the materials they called neck through unity..

A DynaUnity LTD is basically a TL4

VFL TLs do command a few more bucks...

It's a great time to buy a TL as they're still affordable and going up in value.

My preference is for the later TLs

Tim

11. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yeah, that's the same manual I was referring to in my second post (#3, above).

So, am I correct in understanding that the early ones (Dyna preamp) do not have a sweepable mid, but they do have a switch for active/passive pickups? And the later ones (VFL pickups) are the opposite (i.e. DO have sweepable mid, but do NOT have active/passive switch)?

And the early ones have Vol/Vol, but the later ones have Vol/Blend?

12. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    ps. Thanks for the help, guys! I appreciate the info.

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

There really are no rules from this era..

During this time frame they did tons of custom orders..

Back in the days you could call Meridian and get a production guy on the phone.

Early ones normally had a dyna preamp .. nothing wrong with this

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dyna preamp has VOL/BLEND, but otherwise I think everything you've written is true. The reason the VFL pickup equipped Peaveys do not have a "passive" option is that the pickups are internally active ala EMG style pickups. The 18V VFL circuit in my Axcelerator sounds incredible.