1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey TNT 115 + Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PwX-Steve, Mar 12, 2001.

  1. ok heres the deal
    with the Peavey TNT 115 older version of the combo it has a Crossover network. Both High and Low output jacks. It has pre amp out and pwr in jacks. but it has 1 thing im not to sure i needed for an ext cab, a spkr out jack. What i want to do is give myself more airmovement. not volume as such because i know by addnig more it reduces watts. but as i said i want more airmovment giving me more dynamic volume. i was wondering if i could connect an ext cab to the high or low output jacks no the crossover network, or frmo the preamo out. and if so what kind of cab do you suggest. at the moment the combo plays into a 1x15 scorpian spkr. so should i get a 2x10 or another 1x15 cab, or am i waisting my time.

    hope use can help.

    PS is there any other way i can get more air movment?
  2. SuperDuck


    Sep 26, 2000
    I have a Peavey TNT 130 (the slightly older version of your amp) and once tried the same thing. Unfortunatly it doesn't work. Kind of.

    If you want any kind of extension cab at all, you'll need a seperate power amp. The Crossover section works on the premise that you do have one, that's just how all crossovers work. If you use either the preamp out or the crossover, you'll get no signal because there's nothing to amplify the sound.

    Now, IF you have a power amp, your best bet is to get the 2x10, and use the crossover to sending the high frequencies to 2 ten inch speakers. (They handle high frequencies better than 15 inch drivers) You could use another 15, but that COULD start to sound a little muffled and muddy, because you'll basically have no high frequencies.

    But by now, you're buying another power amp, and an extension speaker, so it might just be worthwhile to buy another amp. Just another option.
  3. jcadmus


    Apr 2, 2000
    PWX -- In short, no that won't work. You would need to send the output from the crossover to a second amplifier, attached to a second cab, to make it work.

    To straight-up add a cap, you need an speaker extention jack.

    Also, if you WERE able to do this, adding a cab wouldn't reduce the wattage -- it would actually increase it by reducing the system impendance.

    For example, when I had my Peavey Combo 115, as configured it would produced 210 watts into the one-speaker four-ohm load. By adding a second four-ohm cab, I reduced the total impedance to two ohms and INCREASED the system output to 300 watts.

    Cool, huh?
  4. sweet,
    if things could only be easier lol

    how much do use think a cab and power amp cost for me to do what was suggested?
  5. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    how does your combo amp connect to your speaker? If it connects by a cable, you could setup another speaker cab in parallel to it (matching it's impedance would help). Most likely its 8 ohms, add a 8 ohm cab and you will have 2 4 ohm cabs ... sorta. So then, either it will be louder and move more air, or it will burn up your amp... hmm... maybe you should see what loads your amp can take too :)
  6. thanks for teh suggestion

    i had a look at the back of it
    and for me to do that i have to take the back off
    and im not going to do that. i believe it would be just wire runnnig from the amp into the speaker.

    yes maybe a little electricle work
    but im not going to do that myself
    because i dont trust myself lol



Share This Page