Peavey TNT 115 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Aug 8, 2004.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

after a month of looking around on the internet (but not actually trying out the amps in person) i have decided to buy the Peavey TNT. it has the power that i need (i dont gig yet, but it should be good for small gigs) and looks like a weel built quality amp combo. the price is kind of high for a 150Watter but it looks like its worth it.

for the people who have tried/owned Peavey TNTs, is it a good amp which is worth the price?
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    What are you paying for it?

I started out on a TNT 115S. It was a great amp. I bought it used and gigged with it for a while. Having the 15 made 160w usable for smaller gigs.

Peavey is rock solid stuff.

Consider used gear. You will save alot of money over the years.

3. Jazzin'

well i didnt check the prices at the local stores yet.
    any other people who have owned a peavey tnt?
  4. I am a current owner of a Peavey TNT. I bought mine used for about 375$. It has served me well for the price but be aware, though Peavey is built like a tank, it weighs as much as a tank so be prepared to work so back/stomach/arm muscles.

Another than thought, a pretty solid amp.

5. Jazzin'

is its only downside it's weight? its suposed to weigh like 82 lbs or something.
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    More like 87 pounds. I found the sound a bit muddy. But it was the weight that finally got to me. Well built and ultra reliable though.
  7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yeah, and come to think of it the handle is on top!

It would be much better if it was on the sides.

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have owned 2 TNT over the past 10 years..I sold them both just for a change. IMO I think the TNT is a great combo considering its price..Used TNT's can be had for mid 300 range in very good condition. I purchased both of mine used and pretty much sold them for very close to what I paid for them. I immediatlely put wheels on both of them..Home Depot ..set of 4 wheels for about $15.

Always got a very good sound and as mentioned they are indesructable....within reason of course.....I did not like the Chorus but I never used it so it was no problem.
    Try to get the Black Widow or the higher grade speaker from the newer versions....I think the new line is trimmed in red???
  9. Jazzin'

screwing in wheels wont damage the amp? or lower its value?
  10. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I hope not.

I attached casters directly to mine with lag screws, but some folks might want the option of setting it directly on the floor. Socketed castors, or a 14" x 25" piece of 3/4 plywood with casters might be the way to go.

Oh yeah, recessed PA speaker handles are almost a must. I have no idea what they were thinking putting that skimpy handle on a nearly 100lb. amp. (keeps the price down, I s'pose) I can practically see the top flexing if I try to pick the whole thing up from there. Take the grill off, remove the speaker, and get out the jigsaw. :D

A music store near me is clearing out stuff, and they have a new TNT115 for $345. About $100 less than their original price.

No complaints so far. I can keep up with a decently agressive drummer, and the last time I played this amp out the soundguy put my signal into the house from the DI.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have the TNT... had it for a wee over 2 years...

Its a good solid amp. Solid as granite. Heavy as granite too.

Its loud, its heavy, its reliable...

And it sounds pretty good, too.
  12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. Anybody who has never seen the amp, will assume something that heavy *came* with wheels. Anybody who has lifted the amp will thank you for adding them!
  13. Jazzin'

where can i get side handles? who sells them?
  14. I had a chance to play one weekly for several months.

Compared to my bi-amp rig, it was a breeze loading and transporting it. It doesn't have much tone, but did get pretty loud considering the low power.

The one I played had a 15" Black Widow installed. It was a utilitarian keeper for me, but the donator had second thoughts and wanted it back.
  15. that's what's known as a SNAFU. at the time the decision was made, the thinking around here is that combos have a handle on top -- all of our guitar combos do. so that's what we did.

we've since changed that tune; see the BAM 210 for an example of a heavy combo with side handles. but it would be too expensive to redesign the TNT combo with side handles. it would be convenient, but it wouldn't increase sales appreciably in the same way that it woudl increas cost appreciably.

16. Jazzin'

so i just take off the grill, rip out the speaker, jigsaw a square on each side then add side handles? where can i get side handles from?
  17. I've been playing one for about the last 7 months. It usually keeps up with a drummer and two relatively loud guitarists at practice. At the few gigs we've had I ran direct out to the PA and just used the amp as my stage monitor. It works great for that. The tone is fine, the EQ seems flexible, and it is bomb-proof. With an extension speaker, I could see this amp covering a lot of ground.

It is heavy, as others have mentioned, and the awkward handle placement makes it difficult for one person to carry. But two people can tote it as easy as pie. The most difficult thing for me was treading that delicate line between "loud enough" and "clipping" when the band's volume got out of hand. Fortunately for me, I can go through the PA for support. If you don't have that luxury, you might want to be double-sure the TNT has enough volume for you without having to push the speaker too much.
  18. Two things:

1. On the simplest level, you could add a strap handle on each side (like the one on top). Not the most elegant solution, but cheaper and less woodworking intensive (just be sure you've got T-nuts). It'd work fine for this application. Also, definitely get casters, the 2" type. I owned an early '90s TNT 150, put 'em on, and never looked back. If you're better with tools and can make a hole large enough (for the center hole), get the removable type (Ernie Ball, etc.).

2. Unless you've really got a thing for the latest model TNT with the piezo tweeter (red trim style), I'd go used and get the Combo 115 (carpeted/white face or black), or the Combo 210TX or older Combo 300 models (with the 8 band rotary EQ). More wattage, a tiny bit heavier, probably better sound. Lots of these out there. Good luck!
  19. Just be careful... when I first got the amp my dad added casters for added portability, but hit insulation as well as some wires... 60$ later is was ok but the guy that sold it to us (from Daddy's Junky Music) flet real bad considering he said it would be a no-problem DIY project.

SO my conclusions- limited tone, limited portability, limited/low price.

20. Jazzin'

i will probably just add side handles and not wheels. most of the time, its gonna be in my room. i will only have to move it when im gonna go play somewhere where there isnt a bass amp. which will be mainly to certain friends houses.

later, i will ask for instruction on how to aadd side handles, if i choose to go with the flush(concave) ones.