Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TNT 115 - should I do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hateater, Jun 6, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have somewhat of a delima. I currently use a Peavey TNT 115 for gigs, and it just doesn't seem to be doing to job.

The problem is that it is not L O U D enough. If i can get it to where it is loud enough, the compressor will not let up, and I swear the speaker looks like it is going to jump out of the cabinet.

I have around $400.00 to spend on an upgrade for my amp, and i was just thinking that i could sit a Carvin 2X8 on top of my amp. that way, I could temp. get more power, and i could upgrade my stuff later and still have a usable cab. Am I crazy for thinking this? Help me!!!

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Why not go for a 2x10 to add on?

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I wasn't sure if it was a 2x8 or a 2X10- probably a 2X10 though. Is this a good idea? Will I get more out of my amp? Here is a pic attached of what i was planning on getting.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    [​IMG]

at a nice little 2x10 by carvin. It should go well with you 15er in the peavey :D

Id say go for it, and no your not crazy, i cant see anything wrong with it!

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the quick responses guys- man, TB is such a great resource! BTW, Kirbywrx, I looove Pharmaecopia by Mudvayne. I think it is by far the best song from them.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    :D hehe Yes, its a great song ;)

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, I have that problem with mine too.

I'd just get a 2x10 to stack onto it or something.

8. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Well, according to the Peavey Web site, you're only going to get an additional 50 watts out of the amp by adding another four-ohm load (the 2X10), so on balance you're not going to get a whole lot more out of the thing in terms of volume.

But you will get some, and it will likely sound better -- I think one-speaker combos tend to sound kind of boxy and one dimensional. Adding a cab can really open them up, in my experience. I did this with a Peavey Combo 115 I used to own, and I was amazed at the difference in sound.

The 10s will give you a little more midrange punch too, which may make it "appear" louder (that is, you'll hear it more, even though it's not that much louder).

9. ejsagun

ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    hmmm....from what i know, your volume will increase when you add the 2x10 because you get more cone area therefore you can move more air.

peavey combos are great. theyre tough and in my opinion they have great tone.

go for it man.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You could also add a powered cab, which is what I did back when I was using a Peavey TNT 150. I picked up a powered Peavey 2x10, and it could even drive another cab, so I picked up a Peavey 210TX. That gave me 4 10's and a 15, with something like 380w total power. It worked fairly well, until I went the rack system route and started picking up preamps, power amps, etc.

FWIW, I still have my powered 2x10 and 210TX and am considering selling them...;)

Tom.

11. Y'all need to remember that even though adding speakers does increase output, it also splits the available power 2 ways. His 15 will be getting about half the power it was getting, and the new cab will be getting the other half, so it ain't all chocolate and cheese.

Either look into a bigger rig altogether, or get one of those powered cabs mentioned above.

Chris

12. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    OK, thanks for the responses guys. I do have one question though- what the hell is a powered cab? Is it a cab that can supply more watts? thanks again guys.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's a cab with its own amp built in, so you just send it a line level signal. The powered 2x10 that I have, can also power another cab.

Tom.

14. I use an SWR rig for gigs but at the rehearsal room / studio I use a peavey 2x10 combo with an additional 1x15 extension cab (similar to what you are looking at I suppose)It saves all the gear coming out of the band van and having to lug the 6x10 around

Adding an additional speaker cab is by far the best way of increasing your volume at this time, and like you say you can upgrade your combo later and still have a very usable cab

Just try and get an 8ohm cab if you can, but its not the end of the world if you dont, as most peaveys will happily run down to 2ohms

Best of luck

Dave

15. The amp he has won't run down to 2 ohms. It's only rated for 4.

Chris

16. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Spec sheet on Peavey.com says it will run at 2.

17. he will be louder. He will have more speakers... adding 50 watts to the same setup as a combo wouldn't be much but adding a cab is usually not a mean of pulling out more power, but that is the idea, but getting more speakers to help get you heard. You can have a 1500 watt amp into a single 8" speaker, but I honestly think 300 watts into a 210 and a 15 is louder, eh? see my point...

18. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, i really only have 150 Watts to work with i believe- unless, of course, i use a power cab. Would i even have enough money ($400) to purchase one of those?

thanks

19. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Uh, i guess i should clear things up. My amp says in the manuel that is is rated
    150 W RMS/4 ohms
    and
    200W RMS/2 ohms
    I hope that clears things up!