Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TNT 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Hey all

Long time lurker, first time poster, at least in this forum, I think. Anyways, I recently joined a band, and I really need a new amp, the Darius D-23 20W just isn't cutting it. My drummer's dad's friend works at Steve's in Ottawa, and can give me a good deal on some amps, and I'm thinking about getting the Peavey TNT 115. The problem though, is that I can't try theirs out, and there aren't any at any stores in the city. The local chain keeps saying that there's some on order, but I don't really feel like waiting all that much longer to try it, when it'll take another few weeks (?) to order mine from Ottawa.

Anyway, my band is me, a loud drummer, a guitarist who really likes Metallica and distortion, and a singer who occasionally plays keyboards. We don't have any gigs, but I think the TNT can be hooked up to an external cab, if anybody can verify that for me. What do you all think? Thanks.

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    How much $ are you willing to spend.
    If you can afford it, I think you' be MUCH happier with Peavey Combo 115.

3. I don't want to spend over $900 Canadian. The TNT is selling at the store for $900 plus 15% tax, so like $1035. The guy in Ottawa will sell it for $640 plus tax, so $736 plus shipping from Ottawa, whatever that is, probably a lot. He also has the Combo 115, but that's for $800, plus tax and shipping. Blah, I hate my weak Canadian dollar.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you can afford it I still think the Combo 115 is alot better. Just my opinion though.

5. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    i got a great deal on a peavey tnt 115, its a great amp imho. Not too big or too small, good sound, great tone. Does a good job through the drums, and comes with a line out which is great for goin right into the pa or soundboard. The combo 115 is also a great amp although quite a bit more moneywise. The only gripe about the peavey tnt is that there are no handles on the side or casters and it weighs a good bit, but i just get my guitarist to help me out and im good to go.

later
    joe

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I have a TNT 150 that has been through HELL I repeat: HELL... I installed some pop-out wheels when I bought it new. I still use it as a practice amp and to amplify my upright. I believe it is about 13 years old and still going strong. That model had a built in crossover that you could use to send the highs out into an amplified source to creat a bi-amped system... pretty cool....

7. Well, it looks like I'm getting it, I fried my old amp at practice last night, so I need an amp now. Grr. Oh well, thanks for your replies.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It should do the job. It is very loud for the price and wattage. I have a 20 year old TNT 130 with the Black Widow speaker. Make sure that you get one with a Black Widow. They are a few $$$ more, but hold up much better, and sound better too.

9. I find out tonight what he has in stock, and if he has the Black Widow, I'll get that, but I'll take whatever he has. How big of a difference is it? Yay, I'm all excited now, this'll be such a difference over the old amp. It didn't even really have an adjustable EQ, just a bass and prescence knob.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the TNT isn't to shabby, by any means, though as Jeff said, the BW speakers help a lot.

11. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    unfortunately i couldnt find a tnt with a widow... but i have used one with one before and there is a pretty big difference especially at higher volumes, but imho, the amp holds up solid with or without the black widow, but if u cant find it (im pretty sure they dont put it in any tnts any more) the tnt is still a good amp

JOE

12. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I had a TNT without the BW speakers. It was loud and could keep up with the drums but as soon as our guitarist got a marshall stack I needed more power. But you can beat the living snot out of a TNT and it will still play good.

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I think the Black Widow TNTs have a nice sound to them, but the 85 pounds with one handle bothers me.

14. s_boy

s_boy

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    i bought mine with the blue marvel speaker... i couldn't tell that much difference. do a side by side for yourself, before you fork out the xtra bucks.

i figured if i decided to replace the speaker later, i might want to do some research and shop around for a JBL or a Celeston in lieu of the BW or the Sheffield?

its warranted for 5 years anyway!

oh yea, to answer your question... yes this combo amp does have a speaker out to drive a cab. since the internal 15" speaker is rated at 4ohm... you can drive a 4ohm cab and it will efficient an extra 50w (200w total) capability at 2ohm.

i just ordered the Peavey TVL 2x10 (4ohm) cab for mine. Peavey also makes a TVL 4x10

15. Hey again
    Just letting you all know that I got the amp, I brought it home last night. No Black Widow, all they had was the Sheffield. Man, that thing's heavy. Oh well, it's some loud, and I'll be trying it out at practice tonight, so I'll see how it holds up there and let you all know. Thanks for all of the help everyone.