Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TNT 115s ("Power Amp In" Question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Feb 3, 2004.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a Peavey TNT 115s that has a "Power Amp In" option on the front panel.

If I connect a power amp through this, will it disengage the power section of the Peavey and allow me to run the 115 speaker with the connected power amp? Basically use the combo as a speaker cab only.

Thanks for your responses.

2. NO, that is the input jack for the internal power amp. You'd use that if you wanted to connect an external preamp up to the power amp instead of using the internal preamp. It does not break the poweramp -> speaker connection.

If you want to use just the speaker, you'll have to add a speaker jack to the speaker cab because I think the speaker is hardwired to the internal power amp. You'll also want to somehow disconnect the internal power amp from the speaker when using it as just a speaker cabinet so as not to backfeed the amp and fry something.

Chris

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    No. The "power amp in" jack is for the output of a separate preamp feeding the power amp and speaker in your combo. There is also a "pre amp out" jack which whill use the peavey pre and feed the signal to a separate power amp.

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks Throbbinnut & Metron.

I had a feeling I would not be able to do this.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    DO you have an old TNT or a new fancy one with all the red borders on the head? Because i know for a fact that on my old (80's) TNT, the wire is soldered, therefor i cant bypass the head.