Peavey TNT 130 combo/boss odb-3 muddiness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Hey Guys..
    In the last couple of weeks I've been working with my project "the bludgeoning", which only has a bass for strings mixed with overdrive from the Boss ODB-3....I have the desired amount of crunch and bite to my tone, but as far as overall clarity when not holding notes and moving fast, the sound goes to crap (like when I'm doing a speedpicking line).....I don't know why It would do this when I'm generally eqing things out to not feedback. i use an old PJ mexi fender with VVT control setup....pickups are cranked, tone knob rolled back. on the ODB-3 I have the volume on 12 o clock, both EQs cranked (treble gives crunch, bass gives a bit of a bottum), blend at 9-11 o clock (depending on what kinda night it is lol), and gain a little under 12 (not as far as 11, just a bit). on the TNT, i have the conrols set like this: pregain "5", postgain cranked, bass at "5", mid shift cranked to right, mids near cranked, treble at 8 or so, and prescence at 10 or 11 o' clock.....i know this can be clearer with the pedal, i've heard it pretty clean before.....maybe i should decrease treble on teh amp and raise rescence? i have a character tone with a lot of bite to it...anyone that can help me figure this one out would be much appreciated
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You're problem is the ODB-3. Horrible overdrive pedal. More like a static pedal. Ditch it and get something better. The Ibanez PD-7 is much better, and costs alot less.
  3. Could be putting too much bass in with the OD pedal, and, like the Ox said, thats not a very good OD pedal, ive never tried the Ibanez PD-7, but i have a sansamp BDDI, and its the shizna! (a tad more expensive tho), also look into the fullman bass driver
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Distortion in general mushes out the sound. Try setting the blend on the pedal to let more of the straight signal though.

Be careful with treble boosting, distortion adds harmonics so too much treble makes for a very raspy, buzzy sound.

Also, carefully look at how you are muting strings when playing fast. If you don't mute properly, the unwanted ringing of strings through the distortion will add to the mush.
  5. well, I like it's crunch, it's not a static pedal for me (if you forget about the hiss) if I'm reasonable with the blend knob (turned up a quarter or a tad more)....for the most part my tone is as girthy as it is unaffected (and sounds bigger) and it gives an edge like you wouldn't believe....I'm playing particularly fast music and it doesn't squelch much on's just when i dig in and speedpick notes it becomes a bit harder to hear.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you use ANY distortion (pedal or amp) you're going to have less clarity when playing fast, just goes with the territory.

The only solution is to try to find a happy medium between a lower amount of distortion that gives you the clarity you want vs. not sounding too clean overall.