Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey tnt extension cab question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scuba steve, Dec 28, 2005.

1. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    ok guys, i got a peavey tnt 115, and i need more volume. theres a genz- benz 410 ls at the local music store for $419 brand new. it is an 8 ohm cab, and as ya'll know my tnt is a 4 ohm amp, and boosts itself to 200 wats at 2 ohms with an extension cab. is the price right and how will my sound be affected after the hookup. one more thing, i had to replace the speaker in the peavey and my pastor ordered a peavey scorpion sound reinforcement speaker. this speaker is rated at 200 watts at 8 ohms. it sounds good, but should i worry about it getting blown if i play to loud for to long, or is the speaker gonna be fine no matter what. thanks and please correct me if im wrong on any of my specs

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You don't need a 4x10 when you already have a 15 to handle the bottom, and you don't want an 8 ohm extension as the 8 ohm 15 will pull all the power into it. Add a 4 ohm 2x10. That will make all 3 drivers 8 ohms for an even power distribution.

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Bill is absolutely correct.... although any 4 ohm cab would work, you would be better of with a 4 ohm 2x10 cab... I think low down sound had a tx -2x10 used.

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    but will the 410 work? it seems so reasonable, and i know benz stuff is pretty good. will my amp just not send enough power to it? please fill me in. the more i know, the better!

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    BEST THINg to do is either borrow the cab from the store and try it out...in a band situation. if it works keep it. or if they won't let you take the cab bring your TNT to the store and play on it WITH YOUR BASS. to see if you like the sound.

Things to listen for: are both speakers playing about the same volume (the TNT and the 410s) depending on the ohms and speaker sensitivity one set of speakers will probably be louder than the others, but IS IT TOO MUCH LOUDER. try different volumes, they may sound close at a lower volume, but as you go up the difference might increase. how hot does the TNT get with the extra cab attached. 8ohms is safer than 4 in this consideration, but either should work according to the manual.

good luck

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had the older TNT 115 and for a 150W amp, it was loud. If you do not find the TNT loud enough, adding an extension speaker probably will not help.

I agree with Mcrelly, make sure you try the cab with the TNT. You need to be able to A/B with and without the cab. If the internal 15" takes all the juice, the extra cab isn't going to do you much good.

I also think Bill is right about the 2x10 *unless* you are planning on upgrading the amp in the near future. If you see a new head in the future, the 4x10 might be a good investment.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, but your amp won't get any more out of it than it will from a 2x10 and you'll be hauling around a larger package for no good reason. You'll also save money on the 2x10, leaving you $ for other toys.

8. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    thanks for the help guys. the reason i might go ahead and get the 410 is because i will be upgrading pretty soon, and it will be a good investment. that benz cab is usually at least $100 dollars more than it is at my local store, and its brand new. they've just had it awhile and want to move it out.

9. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I think it states on the back of the amp to use 4 ohm "only".... at least mine does.