Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TNT love story

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The marching band was practicing before a show, and the pit went to unload the trailer. One of the mallets opened the side door of the trailer where my amp was. My TNT falls out, lands right on top of itself... (like, as in, on the amp)

I pick it up, hear some rattling, plug it in, turn it on, play.... meh. works fine.

Next, I'm gonna try dragging it through a mine field.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Peaveys are arguably the most rock solid workhorses you can get. I know a dude that has a Peavey 1x15 combo from before I was born. It looks like crap because of being abused for years but it still works perfectly. Then there's my Minx110 practice amp that I've had for about 8 years that's been dropped a few times and shipped half way around the world more than once. Works perfectly.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    my school has this crap-tastic TNT (older, has stupid controls like "boom") and my band is auditioning (hey, i didn't need to bring my Ampeg stack) and i'm just standing there, and the input just cuts out in the middle of the autdion. i wasn't rocking out or antyhing, i was just standing still, and it cuts out. i stop, pull out plug and put it back in, and then it works. then about 1 min later, cuts out. i smack the top, works. this went on through the duration of our 8 min song. This amp hasn't had a hard life-just spent its life within the school, moving about 20 feet at a time, from the band room to the stage.

but whatever.
    look at "xcental34x"'s sig, he quoted me in saying
    (in response to his "If you want an ampeg, shove your peavey in the mud, there you go, you've got an ampeg") "If you want a peavey, take your clock radio and write "peavey" on it. there you go, you've got a Peavey"

4. Aww...

I love your TNT Michael!

:)

Yeah...I'm sure if it was some Ampeg junk it woulda been in pieces...:bassist:

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    The problem? It was the schools :D We have a TNT at school and it is constantly abused buy the youngsters. They turn the gain right up and think its a built in distortion effect. Im not sure if thats what happend in your story, but thats why my schools TNT died in the rear end.

I cn roll my TNT down the drive way while i sit on it, and it still works fine, no problemo :D

6. romeoarmada, I find it hard to believe that the old Peavey would act like that, from what I've heard, the really old TNTs were build like brick sh*thouses and however flat they sound, they just don't break.

My Peavey Combo 115 kicks the crap out of the Ampeg and Crate half-stack we use at the practice studios, volume and tonewise.

I couldn't break it if I tried, it's a beast and it sound great. Not only that, but it was cheap aswell.

7. One of my my guitar-playing buddies had a 50 watt Peavey bass amp (can't recall the model), and after like 30 or 40 minutes of playing (with volume control around 3 or 4), the dumb thing shut off by itself. You had to wait 15 minutes before you could play it again. Then after another 20 minutes, it shut down again. Then you had to wait a little longer. :mad:

And that thing sounded like poop anyway.

8. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    my tnt 115 is built like a rock and sounds just amazing, and I rock out with a firey passion so I have a tndency to kick it every now and then, the grill is a little dented but it still works great, maybe you guys who complain are just being too ruff with it and have the gain on like 11 and that gives you your distorted sound, but I have an overdrive running pretty constantly so I probably can't tell the difference anymore between a clean tone and a clean tone that has an irreagular distortion going on, my only complaint is that I'm a skinny dude and the thing is like a lead weight so I have a little trouble moveing it around

9. aww this really brought back memories. I just sold my TNT!!! I sold it for a good cause though...to buy a new bass! heh

It was my first amp. I bought it new in about 1988. That thing sure was noisy but i t was built like a tank. It was in a house fire, got completely soaked with water, fell out of my car etc...It just kept on going and never gave me any trouble at all. It was a great amp.

10. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I sold my TNT a few months ago, like some of you said it was built like a tank, but it sounded like caca (IMHO)

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    definatly-whats the use in making it so tough if it can't even sound good? I mean the power/price ratio is good, but i can't stand pre '95 peavey gear. you know, on my schools TNT, i could not find a master volume anywhere (and i'm not amp-retarded either) theres all kinds of useless things on it, like a crossover... Why the hell do you need a crossover for a 15" combo? is it in case you use the speaker out? whatever, who knows. i hate that peavey stuff. some day, i'll climb up into the catwalk in the auditiorium, and drop that SOB 100 + ft onto a hard concrete surface. If it still works then (probably will) then it's durability must be enchanted somehow... who knows. my shoulder hurts. ow.

12. How the hell can something lose tone because it's sturdy? If you iron-clad a Mesa rig, would it somehow sound crap?

Pre 95 stuff Peavey was tough and loud, not with a bad tone, just without tone at all. Like all Peaveys, they just amplify without colouring your tone at all.

13. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Mesa rigs already sound crap, theres no need to iron clad it to get a bad sound :p :D :) ;)

14. I meant something great sounding, like a Carlsboro, or a Kustom, or another equally high quality tone machine...

15. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    What about those gorilla amps. Now they are the top of the pile IMO. Did i mention that the pile consisted of POOP!! :D

16. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I bought a Peavey Combo (300 watts ...it said!) with the ubiquitous Black Widow 15" back in 1979 or '80. It was built like a brick and sounded like one too.

But y'know what? It worked for me back then, tryin' to sound like Chris Squire with the mids all scooped out of it's "parametric" EQ (...uh, yeah) and a little drive on it's push/pull knobs.

I sold it years ago, but recently I had to borrow an amp from a buddy of mine, a TNT, and boy howdy did it have even less guts than the Combo! So I slapped an EVM-B 15 in it and it actually was usable! I eventually acquired other amplifacation and gave it back (his response was to sell it).

There is a place in this world for Peavey, but not in my rig (two Aggie 112's and a 1001RB-II for me now, thanks)

Big Earl

17. I have ALWAYS used Peavey. From my first amp, a TNT 150, to my latest touring rig. I have only once had one of my Peavey amps fail on me, an early 80's 260 combo. I have abused the snot out of Peavey amps and cabs for years and have only ever had the one failure (which was my fault!). When I bought my current set-up money wasn't an issue and I went with Peavey anyway. Here, take a look-
    [​IMG]
    I have never had a problem getting awesome sounds out of Peavey gear. Those that think otherwise about Peavey gear lead me to beleive that it might be in the USER and not necessarily the GEAR being used.

Example: A buddy bought a WT800 (nice head). He had heard that it was one of the best amps he could buy (he was upgrading from his Peavey 300 combo). He had no idea how to use the damn thing. No matter what he did with the settings it sounded like butt. After READING THE OWNERS MANUAL and asking some questions about the use of parametric equalization he was able to start utilizing the capabilities of the amp.

Moral of the story: Educate yourself on how things work and you'll know how to work them.

18. I've always told myself that when I come to getting a larger, rack-mounted touring rig, I'll go Peavey poweramps all the way. They are very, very cheap over here in the UK, space and energy efficient. If I like the sound of the MaxPreamp, I might get one, but for my next major rig I want to open my mind a bit, and experience for myself what each company sounds like.

At the moment money is tight. I can't afford an expensive tone machine like the Fender BM400 (I adore them :) ), Peavey provide me with power, affordability and on these newer models, massively changeable tone.

19. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Calling an amp an SOB is hilarious! :D

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    dude.

i used to freak out when the little red light flashed... now im like "SCREW YOU WHORE!" and i just add more bass to the mix to teach the amp a lesson in manners.