Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TNT or Ashdown Electric Blue 130-12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by password, Jul 31, 2002.

1. password

password

Jul 28, 2002
    Which is the better amp? A man at my guitar store says he will sell me the TNT used for 300 or i could buy the ashdown new for almost the same. What do ya'll think. Is there a better amp i'm missing.

Want to spend about 300

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I don't know which would be "better", but the Peavey will probably be louder and hold up a little better, and it supports extension cabs, but it weighs like 90 lbs which is a LOT for one handle.
    The Ashdown on the other hand weighs less than 40 lbs.
    Just something to take into consideration.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Ashdown has better tone set flat but with heavy EQ the TNT is capable of good tone as well. The TNT is much louder.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Depends what you want from the amp. If you want it to be your main gigging amp and will play medium sized venues, the flexibility of the Peavey (supporting an extensin cab and the extra power out with the cab) might be better for you.

However, for good sound and portability, the Ashdown is a winner - I bought one!

In terms of loudness - the 20 watts extra didn't seem to make a lot of difference to me (but that could just be the amps I did the A/B with!) Although, I didn't try the Peavey with an extension cab, in which case it may have made a difference!

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Go with the Ashdown, I got the 130 - 15 - plenty loud enough.
    BTW If you are in the U.K. Wembley guitar centre have the new 150 Electric Blue for £329!

6. password

password

Jul 28, 2002
    So for the same amount of money, would you buy a used peavey or a new ashdown. $300

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    New Ashdown - you wont be dissapointed, plus you'll get a warranty.

8. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    And the service Ashdown give is second to none. If you have a problem with the EB130 you'll have it sorted very quickly by Ashdown. Would you get that with the S/H Peavey. Also, it weighs a lot more than the EB for about the same amount of power, notwithstanding the fact you could add a cab (maybe) to the Peavey. But really, the EB is a gem to transport and gives a great sound. I use mine for all rehearsals and all small gigs. I have an ABM 500/15 which I use for all bigger gigs. It sounds out of this world but it's a big lump to carry.

9. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    I would add that my Ashdown is the 15" speaker EB130/15. so I can't really say what the 12" sounds like. I think the TNT has a 15" speaker, if so you are bound to get more depth from the Peavey.

10. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Go peavey. Trust me. I love the TNT so much I use as my screen name... 1x15, 150 watts... 200 watts with the ext. cab... 7 band EQ... actice/ passive switch... hum reducing switch... It is honestly the best garage/ pizza joint/ bar amp I have ever had the honor of playing through... You will not be sorry... And besides, what kind of name is "Ashdown" for an amp company:p

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    With all due respect, the previous poster may be criminally insane. Ashdown is a fabulous company that specializes and concentrates on bass equipment. They are an evolution from Trace Elliot, perhaps the first comapny to realize the potential of catering to bass players and Ashdown is known for excellent and personal customer service- as in the President of the company will personally make sure that you get taken care of. Granted, you are looking at something like the bottom of their line, but the quality you'll find in any Ashdown product is going to blow away any Peavy product- especially the dread Peavey TNT- also know as the amp you don't want to see if a club owner says that they'll provide backline. Peavey is like a K-Mart of low-rent generic equipment. The only, only, only reason to by Peavey gear is if you can't afford something decent.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Excuse me while I roll my eyes in your general direction:rolleyes:

13. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Puhlease... Let's not forget what instrument you're playing there Yo-Yo. The peavey sounds fine. People shopping around in the $300 range aren't looking for some super hi-fi sophisticated amp that can deliver ball shaking subharmonics in dolby digital 5.1 surround sound stereo.

If the guy at the store will work with you, just try out both amps. If you're planning on getting a new bass soon as well try to play through the amps with your current bass and a bass similar to what you have your eye on. If you'll be playing out a lot, the weight of the peavey will definately get on your nerves unless you have a drummer that does all the carrying. If you try both amps and you aren't satisfied with either, keep looking. Getting in a rush with equipment is bad bad bad.

14. corinpills, obviously, you havnt tried peavey gear recently. they've definitely had an improvement in construction and sound.

15. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Roll away, my friend, a crap bass amp is a crap bass amp. I've suffered through enough gigs with those horrible things barking behind me to know. To me, the above question was the equivilent of someone saying "Should I get a new Mercedes with no options or a used Pinto?" The only mitigating factor is that he's looking at a pretty small Ashdown and I'd advise him to move up to the next model if at all possible (unless it's just for his bedroom), but most young bass players get saddled with those horrible puke boxes sooner or later anyway, so why not advise him to take the chance of having a decent amp? He'll have plenty of opportunies to stare forlornly at the front of a Peavey bass amp and wonder how he's going to make that sound decent. I wish to heaven they had had amps like the Ashdown when I was starting out. It's fabulous that they make some low cost models so that younger players and those without crinkle can still get in on the good tone.

16. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    On a similar note, I have tried many cheap old Squier P-Basses over the years, so I have the experience to tell you that all Fender basses suck.

corinpills, you have an opinion, but there's no point in applying it to amps you haven't played through.

17. Better Tone is always more pleasing, and may even help you enjoy the experamental process of learning even more. So if you like the tone of the peavey, or the ashdown better, then that should be the one to get. Make shure to try both out. Just my 2 cents; I got sick of peavey and ended moving to a different brand, but that can even happen with a high end amp. I have played other ashdown products, and really liked the sound, even better than eden, which I might add has a fanatical following.