Peavey TNT or Crate BX100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Why_rock, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Why_rock

Apr 9, 2003
    East Texas
    I was looking for something a little more portable and came across these two. I want great tone and enough watts to run an avatar 2-10. Whats the impedance of these two combos? and what would be a great pick
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I have the Ampeg (about 5 years old), and it does not have a speaker out. It is driving an internal 4 ohm speaker and is not designed for any more load than that. You could only drive an external cab if you rewired it (trivial) but then you are carrying a 65# box for the 10# power amp.

I would guess that any 100w combo is doing all it can just to light up it's own speaker. If you want to push an external speaker and get loud, you might look at the older Peavey 300w combo's used; they should drive an external 8 ohm load if not a 4 ohm).
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have had a Peavey TNT since the early '70s and in 30 years it has never given me a single problem. I have a Crate BT350 ( I believe that was Crate's top-of-the-line at one time) that has always had problems. I don't think either one sounds very good. Do either of the amps you are looking at have outs for an external speaker? My TNT doesn't.
  4. So your looking for a combo with great tone that has an external speaker output you can run an Avatar 2x10. Right? I don't think either of these combos is going to do the trick. Better look some more....
  5. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    The Crate BX 100 has an external speaker output, but this combo pretty much sounds like crap, IMO.
  6. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I think the new Peavey TNT has an external speaker output now.

With no doubt in my mind, your choice should be the Peavey TNT. I have tried them all and always come back to Peavey for its quality, price and fiability.
  7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The new TNT has a jack for an external jack @ 4ohms. With the total 2 ohm load you get 200w.

And I happen to like the sound of a TNT;)
  8. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Peavey TNT 115 all the way. Great tone and good value.

I have a Peavey 115 S. Sold my SWR WM 12 Combo for the Peavey and never looked back.

I currently use the following pedals; Sansamp SBBDI, Boss CE-3 Chorus, Boss OC-2 and a Boss TU-2 tuner.

Combo handles them well.
  9. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Peavey=good quality/solid:)
  10. Peavey. Not the best sounding, but SOLID and a great value!
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have a peaveytnt

The amp is 150w alone, and 200w with a ext. cab at 4ohms.

Go peavey, louder, and higher quality than any crate.

Did I mention how nice my tnt sounds with my new active MIM deluxe J that i got yesterday?