Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey TNT speaker replacements...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My tnt speaker is dieing. Its gonna be dead soon.

There is this rattle coming from the speaker.. The amp at my school has the same problem, something about frayed wires. or a blown cone. i dunno. but it sounds exactly the same...

I don't want to put the same speaker in, may as well upgrade a little.

So, recommendations?

(Oh, the sound is this rattle/hiss thing. you can clearly hear it coming from the speaker, and is not distortion.)

2. Eminence are good speakers, but I think you would be better off buying a new rig if you can save up some cash.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if the speaker is a black widow you can buy a new basket assembly and replace it yourself for far less money than you could buy a new speaker for. Putting a "better" speaker in a cabinet that's not designed for it can sometimes sound worse than the original one.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I got it 3 years go.... so it has the Sheffield (or blue marvel?) speaker.. when i did a search on the subject, i saw the bit about speakers being designed for cabinets, which is why i made this thread.

What would go good with my TNT?

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A direct Peavey replacement from a Peavey dealer. That's what the cab dimensions are designed to match.