Peavey TNT115 vs. Fender Bassman 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StartingLineBass, Oct 4, 2003.

1. StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    I've played both and loved both. I just can't decide between the two. Please help my out.
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive owned both.
    Bassman all the way. If you can, maybe spend a little more and get the Bassman 200.
  3. StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    Is there really any downfalls because of the lesser wattage of the bassman?
  4. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I thought the tone of the Bassman was better than the Peavey, and ime the Bassman cut through with a loud band better that the Peavey did.
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have the peavey, and its heavy, but solid, and its also got alot of low-end to it. i cant say ive played the bassman, but im happy with my TNT
  6. StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    I prefer high-end frequnceys to low-end. I usually max out treble , around 12' 0 clock for bass and low mids.
  7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    You max out your treble!?!?:eek:
  8. Read his name...

I am guessing he is going for the Punk-like tone which is pretty cool,IMO...

I suggest go for the bassman,I heard a trebly "punk" bassist play through a 60 and it was pretty nice...

Good luck:)
  9. I have owned and recorded both. I would choose the Fender bassman hands down!

10. StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    IMO, nothing beats a a trebley Jazz Bass.

Thanks for the advice...I think I will go with the Bassman
  11. I own an old Peavey TKO115 that was given to me by a friend when he moved out of the area.

I vote for the Peavey because it was free.

The Peavey can be lifted by one hand... something I can't do with my regular stage rig. It requires a single trip to the truck instead of 5.

It has no bottom, has a big mid-bass hump from the Black Widow being squeezed into a tiny cabinet. The 75 watts makes lots of noise, and it cuts through my loud band OK. Tone ain't the greatest, but tone is lost in my environment anyway.

My friend had the Bassman 200 and the cab came apart internally. Fender repaired it, at no cost except all the hassle and wasted time involved. My klunky Peavey works every time, all the time.
  12. Although not my favorite tone,I do like the "treble-jazz"'s unique,cuts through nicely,and has a cool tone:)

Whatever floats your boat man...
  13. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The only problem Ive had with my Bassman 200 was two capacitors that broke off the pc board. Evidently the vibrations were too much for them, as the leads on them broke right off.

Agreed that my TNT works like a Swiss watch, but I dont care for the Peavey tone as much as I do the Fender's.
  14. StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    What about the volumes levels?? Is the peavey louder? It has 150 watts where as the Fender only 100 watts...although in alot of cases amount of watts could mean nothing.
  15. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I use my Bassman100 for rehearsal all the time, up against two loud guitarists and a crazy-loud cuts through fine and the tone is excellent. If I had to choose, I'd take the Fender, but you can't go wrong here---Peavey stuff is nice too!

best of luck with the purchase!
  16. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    If the Bassman 200 is at all as good as my older Bassman 60 combo, then get that one. I loved my old Bassman 60, I drove that amp into the ground, cranked it right up and got a great hint of overdrive out of it. I miss that little amp. If I ever saw one of the older ones (not the new design black on black ones, but the older black/silver) I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Isn't the Peavey TNT115 more gig ready than the Bassman 100? When hooking up another speaker to it doesn't the wattage increase too?
  18. I use an old Fender Bassman 100 with an unbranded (Amped I think) 15,10,Tweeter cab against a really loud drummer, a guitarist and a singer and I have a lot of problems cutting through. Even with the lows cut and the trebles boosted it still sounded not only flat, but highly distorted.
  19. The Peavey has tone?

20. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've got the Bassman 200 & 25, but I've not used Peavey for years. I *LOVE* the Bassman series for the money. Oddly, though, I don't hear much about the Bassman amps. Most folks go SWR or Ampeg, it seems. Probably because Fender seems to concentrate on combos, and due to past poor bass amps.

I suggest going to the store with your bass and dialing the a) tone you want at b) the volume you want, and seeing which is better. It should be a "no-brainer". If not, I'd emphasize you search for reliability comments, and buy based on that.

For the amps I was looking at (didn't want Peavey for historical reasons), Bassman won hands-down. I like a LOT of low-end - most amps in this price-range rattle/distort with lots of low-EQ.

Bassmans generally don't play nice with external cabinets (except 25 and new 400 I think), but have good PA connectors.

Beware the Fender FrontMan series, though! No comparison to Bassman.