1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

peavey tnt115s combo help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robry, Aug 7, 2012.

1. robry

robry

Aug 7, 2012
    Does anyone know how to get inside the cabinet/power amp? I suspect bad caps causing humming all the time (amp is probably 10+ years old now) and I'd like to take a look inside and see what I need to replace. Possibly also swap the shelfield speaker for a black widow...

Can anyone help me?

2. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    There are a bunch of screws along the back edge of the chassis. You sure you know what you're doing?

3. robry

robry

Aug 7, 2012
    honestly I haven't looked at it for years so I don't remember what the back looks like. I'm at work right now so I didn't even take a peak at it. I have no issue taking it apart or figuring it out, was just hoping for a quick start guide from someone on here.

as far as actually soder work, I'll probably pass it off to a friend with an EE degree who does that kind of thing often.

4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    What do you think? Can't open it up to work on it, but going to start replacing caps...:confused:

5. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    Speaker install isn't very hard usually. Hope you figure it out.

6. robry

robry

Aug 7, 2012
    I tackled this last night, didn't see any physical damage to the capacitors (bulging, etc); I'm pretty certain after closer inspection the ground pin in the 3prong is going bad/about to fall out. I'll most likely end up having a friend check the caps and possibly replace them. In case someone else searches this, I'll add instructions for removing the amplifier:

Remove speaker grill:
    1) pry on the upper right corner of the grill, on the angled metal bar with the text labels for all the functions of the amp with a flat blade screw driver between the cabinet and grill. The grill is held on with velcro.
    2) carefully pry it away from all corners

Remove driver:
    1) unscrew all 8 machine screws and disconnect the driver leads.
    2) yellow was connected to the positive connector, blue was negative.

Remove power amp:
    1) remove 4 Philips head screws on top of cabinet going down into amplifier
    2) 2 rear corner protectors, 2 screws each
    3) 4 screws across the back
    4) reach in through driver hole on the front of the cabinet and push driver wiring up through hole in the top of the cabinet
    5) pull amplifier from back of cabinet straight out, carefully removing driver wiring

Re-installation:
    1) re-install amplifier by pushing driver wiring inside hole in cabinet first, then sliding the amplifier back into it's slot at the top. Replace all screws from where you removed them.
    2) re-install driver by connecting wiring first, then re-installing all 8 machine screws
    3) replace grill but pushing against velcro.

And a photo of the amplifier section for good measure:
    MnoyS.

7. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    When the TNT150 I got in the 80's developed a hum my buddy (who is a radio engineer) and I pulled out the chassis and saw nothing amiss. Before putting it back together we fired it up, plugged in a bass and...NO hum! hmmm. Just gave it a blast from an air can and reassembled. A couple years later, same hum. Same 'fix.' Had done that several times over the years before selling it and offering advice how to remedy. Kind of like fixing a computer: 'turn it off, then turn it back on again.'
    (One tip: here's a chance for you to extend or replace the speaker wiring with a little more length as that's handy when pulling out the chassis the next time, and there will be.)