Peavey TONE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheTestvb, Jun 29, 2001.

1. TheTestvb

Jun 21, 2001
    Just bought a peavey Basic 112 its so cool compared to my 30 wat guitar amp :-/ does anyone know any good settings for a good tonE?
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I use my Basic 112 when i'm practising by myself at home. I try to keep my settings pretty well flat (at 12 o'clock). I set the input button to passive. Gain at 4-5, bright button pushed in. and my eq dials set at Low to 7, Mid/Low to 5, Mid/High to 5 and High to 5. The master volume is set to 4.
    I'll usually add additional tone via the tone controls on my bass. My basses are all passive.
    I checked out a number on small combo 50-100 watt amps before buying the Basic 112. When I lined them all up, set the settings on each amp the same and plugged in, the Peavey had by far the best tone, clarity and least distortion of all of them (there were 5). Best yet, it was neither the highest or the lowest priced but right in the middle. I'm happy with mine.
  3. TheTestvb

Jun 21, 2001
    Better then some 100wat amps? Cool!
    I liked it sound also i liekd the face that it was so powerfull yet such a good price. I'm only 16 so dont got much money hope i can do a small show with this baby.

You talked about distortion how do u get distortion on it? i turn gain al lthe way up but its not relay distortion is it? unless i'm thinking guitar distortino and bass distortion is differnet
  4. I still use an old 1983 Peavey TNT 130 1X15 combo and just can't get away from it. I love it. The old stuff is especially good. I Peavey is so underrated and unappreciated. We're talking made in the USA stuff here at REALISTIC prices...but everyone gets so hung up on the boutique "high end' stuff. I've owned several of such amps and always come back to the Peavey...its such a simple plug in, crank up, and play amp...that's all I need. Sorry for the answer you question though...go to you can download any of their manuals for almost every amp which will include suggested settings. My most common setting is Pre between 3 and 5, Post set according to needed vol, crank the low, high at 4, and set the mid somewhere around 3 (1 o'clock) That gives me a big fat warm rock sound with my Ric 4003. I used to have a Basic 112 as well and loved it. Thumpy little amp.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I have a TNT 115 and the only way i have ever gotten ANY tone out of it is plugging in to the active jack (my bass is passive) setting the bass and treble settings @ 12 o'clock, and setting the eq from almost the botom on the bass side gradually going up to about 3/4 of the way up on the treble side. Punch pushed in, bright out, neck pickup all the way up, bridge pickup almost all the way off and the tone knob all the way counterclockwise. The eq doesnt really matter on peaveys, because it doesnt change that much, tone-wise. I much prefer my SWR SM500 through the SWR Goliath 3....... but whatever works.