1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Tour 450- WOW!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreggBummer, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I just picked up a Peavy Tour 450 and spent the morning playing through it. This amp sound awesome! I am going to post a review on it after I play it for a few weeks (and gig with it). First impression is just groovy.

Anyone have one? Advice? Tricks? Tips?

Headed to my local music shop to get a rack.:hyper::bassist:

2. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Congrats on your new amp!

Just curious, what cabs are you running it into?

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    You mean the import relabeled Trace Elliot.

That's what I have heard.

I am stoked to try one.

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Wow...haven't heard that one yet. :rolleyes:

Maybe if it spreads we'll sell more. :p

5. I was looking forward to trying this head. Glad someone is digging theirs.

I know the Peavey stuff is bulletproof and sounds good (in spite of wrongful negative stigma), so I imagine this head no different.

6. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The biggest tip I could give: don't be afraid of the graphic.

Most people will tell you to go easy on graphic EQs or you will have bad tone/clip early (most of the time this is good advice). The Tour was specifically designed to sound good with wild EQ settings, so if you want a lot of low end or a scooped sound, go nuts with it.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

Shh... Trying to create buzz......

8. I haven't heard about the TE relabel.

So far I am very, very happy with it.

This is my rig:

Peavey Tour 450
    Hartke 1x15 cab, with 600W 8ohn Carvin Speaker
    Zoom B1x pedal (which I used to use as a pre-amp... now I don't think I even need it, except for a little NR and some compression/limiting)

It really sounds good. I have a load of head room now, something I have never had before.

I played around with the EQ. Very cool. Like I said, after I gig this thing I will throw a review up.

Best qualities: Combonation Speakon/ 1/4 inch outputs. I really like the DDT. Lots of tone control from the EQ. Lots of power.

Negative: No footswitch included. It runs the "octivizer" anyway... something I probably wont use. I wish it switched the mute or EQ defeat. Oh well... nothing is perfect.

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Congrats! I tried it's big brother and was VERY impressed.

10. This head has caught my attention. I used to work on amps in the 80's which had what sounds like this "SmartRail Technology" and I thought they were great. If it is the same technology, I'm not sure how they patented it when it goes back so far but no matter. The amps I worked on would switch between voltage rails used for the power transistors to keep the voltage drop across the transistors low and, in turn, keep them cooler. It's a clever technology but actually kind of simple.

I have to confess I haven't even heard one of these heads yet but I'm determined to. I just saw one on ebay but, between the ebay risk (unknown seller/no warranty), I decided to wait until I try one. Now, I'm even more determined to try one out.

What's the story with the "import relabeled Trace Elliot?" I don't see any Trace Elliot heads that look like this one. What model of Trace Elliot would you be referring to?

11. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    It's a solid amp for the buck. It sounds beefy and punchy. So far I've been using it with a Hartke VX 4 X 10, but a pair of Warwick WCA Pro 411s are on the way, so I'm very excited :) Overall it's a good amp that can output some serious volume. The "octaver" is not that great (it can be felt only on the upper strings, on E & A it just reinforces the base note - but maybe my amp is defective...which I don't think so...but since I haven't got the chance to test other Tours...), but the amp performed very well so far.

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The octaver does a whole lot with some cabs and not much with others. If you use some cabs, it's VERY loud!

13. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    :meh:

I believe it's being said because Peavey owns Trace. Even so, two totally different beasts. I love the tone and pure power of these heads. Nothing like a Trace (and not supposed to be).

14. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I didn't say it's not loud, I'm saying on D & G you can feel it's doing what's supposed to, but not on the E & A (at least mine).

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I've tried both the 450 and the 700 and they sound good. I tried them with Trace cabs and a Peavey 210 neo cab.

16. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I was pretty impressed with the 450 and 700. Aside from the different ohm ratings (compared to the older Max Series amps), I think these are the best bass amps that Peavey has ever made! These are legitimate contenders in the high-quality bass amp world.