1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Tour 700 and 2 x 10, 400Watt (8 ohm)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, May 20, 2011.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a single 2 x 10 Headliner cab to start off and add a 1 x 15 VB cab later. My head is a Peavey Tour 700 @ 4 ohms and the Headliner 210 is a 8 ohm cab with 400 watt handling.

Running the 700 @ 4 ohms through a single 400 at 8 ohms does this work? I'm not concerned with rumble (until I can afford a good 15") just want to make sure I'm not going to ruin my equipment running it this way.

I know theres all kinds of threads on over/under powering and Ohms, and I've read them all. I just want to be 100% that this is not going to ruin my gear.

2. The head will probably be putting out somewhere between 350 - 500 watts when running @ 8 ohms.

It will work fine for now - just use your ears. The speakers will tell you when they have had enough and need you to back off the volume.

3. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

ok...cool. thanks man. Much appreciated.

4. Yup,500 watts @ 8 ohms. I havethe same head with an 8 ohm avatar 212 and it sounds great. Enjoy!

5. Just as a point, you do know that a larger cone giving more lows is a myth?

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Adding to what Bassman Paul said about the myth regarding a larger cone speaker. This is true.

Depending on how the cabinets are tuned you can as much low end and the additional volume by adding another 2 x 10. You can also eliminate phaze issues with matching cabs.

I'm not familiar with the cab you have but do a little research. I did this with my rig. I was conviced that the rig I needed was a 2 x 12 with my 2 x 10. I tried it and it was okay but I found I was happier and my rig sounded better IMHO with a matching 2 x 10.