1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Tour and Max Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    so i dropped in the local store today to see if they had any of the peavey tour stuff in stock. they had the tour 450 but no cabs. so i plugged into the 450 and played thru a peavey 4x10 tvx. the contour knob really lets you plug and play. after dialing my sound thru the contour and low and high knobs i tried the graphic eq but found myself going back to the contour knobs. so much less headache. :p the head seemed a bit more punchy and has more "life" then the traditional peavey sound. i must say i was impressed. lots of folks wouldnt even touch a peavey prior to their cirrus line. peavey seems to be picking up their game in the amp department. gotta say im impressed and excited because im looking for a 400+ watt amp that wont break my wallet. :hyper:

now the surprise of the day was a new peavey max combo w/ a 15 inch speaker. the transtube switch which had 3 settings: vintage, modern, and max was the most useful switch/effect ive ever seen on a bass amp. this belongs on all their high model stuff instead of the delay, chorus, sub wave junk... anyways the 3 settings were so useful and sounded so good. if they put the trans tube switch on the high end stuff i prolly woulda walk out with a new tour 450 today. its still up in the air but time will tell i guess.

just wanted to share some thoughts on these new lines since there are no reviews out yet.

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    You know, that is one thing I regret! I wish I would have incorporated Transtube into the Tour heads!

I appreciate any comments good or bad. Thanks!

3. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have the Max 158 as a bedroom, jam with the CD or 'puter amp. Very unpretentious...not a gigging amp with anything more that an acoustic guitar...but the tone is delicious. The 158 only has the vintage and modern positions, but they are dramatic in their execution. It's more than just a "little amp"...it's a little amp that sounds really 'big'.

Kim

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Hey BbbyBld. What exactly is the Transtube feature? I have seen it on the guitar amps but have never played through one.

5. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    indeed they are dramatic! and loud! the 60 watts going thru the 15 almost seemed like enough for band practice. impressive little combos they are. ill agree that the tone is amazing on these combos. glad to see peavey stepping it up all around!

still debating on the tour 450.... still a nice head for the money but like i said id own one already if it had the trans tube switch. :bassist:

6. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    It is a patented solid state circuit that mimics tube amp sound and feel in both the preamp and power amp sections.

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

Hmmm? I have seen that for years on Peavey SS guitar amps. That would be interesting on a bass amp. Almost like having a Sansamp type of circuit built into the head???

Yeah! You're right; You did blow it by not adding it to the Tour Series heads;) Maybe on the next design.

I have been interested in these heads anyway. I like them. I'm glad you went with the High / Low Shelving & Graphic EQ. I like that set up. Everytime I fiddle with one at Styles Music or GC I'm tempted to buy one.