1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Tour TKO & a Passive Wedge..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanez Bassist, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    I have the Peavey Tout TKO Combo and also got a 400 watt Passive wedge as a monitor for me, single 1/4 instrument cable connect the two, what can I put in-between to control the volume on the wedge so its not as loud as what the TKO is sending out..
    Thanks

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Assuming the wedge is chained to the combo like an extension cab? Really nothing I can think of you can use at speaker level power. There are power soaks. They're expensive and not worth it and I don't know if they're even ok to use in that situation without cooking the amp.

Angle the wedge away from you some so you're not on center with it.

3. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Yes thats exactly what it is, Its an extension cab.. so using something like a small mixer to control the volume at the wedge is out of the question.. LOL

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You'd have to get a poweramp to power the wedge independently from your combo and slave it to the combo. In this case, it wouldn't have to be anything that powerful, expensive or even stereo/2 channel. Cheap, used poweramp or a 2nd bass amp if you have one.

Preamp out jack on combo--->2nd amp--->wedge.

You'd then use the combo to set up your tone, but use the 2nd amp to control the loudness of the wedge separately.

5. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    If thats the case then I should just use one of my Active Monitors, rather then but all that stuff.. although I do have other bass amps I could use..

6. sounds like you really want a different amp or head/cab(s)

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes, if you have an active monitor, use that. I take it the goal here is to control the 2 independently without having to buy more stuff? The active monitor, or 2nd bass amp and the passive monitor will work.

I'd just pick the one with the best tone/best lows. If that happens to be the passive, use your other bass amp to power it.

Preamp out jack on TKO--->effects return or poweramp in jack on 2nd bass amp. EQ on 2nd is then bypassed, just use it's master vol. to control the wedge.

You could run into the front of the 2nd amp if you want to eq the wedge separately but watch the gain levels. You'll be double preamping your signal. Use the input pad and keep the gain lower on the 2nd amp.

8. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    No Not at all just looking to control the volume to a wedge that I have thats all, very happy with the Peavey Tour TKO extremely powerful and sounds great..

9. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Ok, Well it looks like I have a few options then, I want to thank You for your time and help..

10. preamp out to powered wedge.

or di-powered wedge... xlr to mains

11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Just throw a towel over the wedge to muffle the sound.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just wanted to point out, you do NOT want to use an instrument cable to connect a speaker, but rather a speaker cable. It's in the OP, but overlooked thus far. it is important.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Another option...effective..and cost free. (I assume you own a towel?):D

+100

I never even noticed that...great call.

14. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    LOL, Thats a cool idea but would like to at the very least look a little more professional then that..

15. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Thanks for pointing that out I will look into getting something for that as I dont have any right now..do you have any preference in what to use, Brand Etc.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Brand, etc. doesn't matter, just make sure it's a "speaker cable" meaning unshielded wire. This can be something as simple as a piece of 16 guage lampcord with a plug on either end. "Instrument cable" (" guitar cord"----same thing) is shielded, very thin guage wire and can't handle speaker level power. It could easily melt, short and kill your amp. Don't get sold on any "majic" speaker cable or buy heavier guage than you need to, just basic, 2 conductor 16 or 14 guage copper wire is fine. Just don't use a guitar cord.

17. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    An extension cab on a TKO? To my knowledge, TKOs aren't built for extension cabs. Did you add a jack? If so, I wonder if your total speaker load is below the minimum impedance of the TKO. That'd be another reason to use a separate amp for the extension.

18. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    what?

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Instrument cables use too thin a gauge for speaker cable needs. Your cabs going to sound better with speaker cable and you wont run the risk of burning out the isntrument cables really thin ussually 21 or 22 gauge wire. Really high wattage of music amp type could burn such thin wire.

Hummm, I think its possible to lower the monitors volume with the right size whatever would be equivelant to 400 watt resistor of whatever needed value. Radio Shack used to and prob still does, carry a passive speaker volume control, wall mounted thing. But I doubt it could handle 400 watts of basss guitar without smoking. I think it was around max of around 75 watts.

Blanket over wedge would dull any treble content as well as cutting overall volume some. Maybe if was blanket with a graphic that could work with bands thing it could work ok if not needing treble content much from the wedge.

20. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Thanks for that advise, I understand a thing or two about wire as I do some electrical work in the A/C*Heating field so I will have no trouble getting a piece of wire.. Just didn't know if there was something specific or not.. Thanks ..