1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

peavey tour users, what rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ergbass, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ergbass

ergbass

Nov 26, 2010
    Argentina
    Hi guys, i have the tour 700 and i am looking the right rack for my head. The 2u from gator its ok? What do you use / think?
    I apreciate your help.
    Thanks

2. ergbass

ergbass

Nov 26, 2010
    Argentina
    Someone?.;-)

3. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Ummm, I don't think that is a very popular head, so nobody is answering such a specific question. Just take it down to the local music/DJ supply store and see where it fits to please your needs. There is no real answer. I use to like larger cases for storage and air flow, but now I run a 2U and only my head fits in there.

4. ergbass

ergbass

Nov 26, 2010
    Argentina
    Thanks rnv!

5. Pretty much any 2U rack will fit it. Just measure it up and have a look at the specs on a few different rack races.

FWIW, I've got a gator 4U rack and if I was going to buy another, it definitely wouldn't be a Gator. They seem to be okay if you just have it at home, but as soon as you start using it to gig regularly they start to fall apart. I've had the back lock completely break and now the lid latches are starting to be very loose.

edit: I forgot to add, one of the side handles came loose and now slides back and forth quite easily.

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Your best bet on rack cases is to avoid the molded plastic ones. I do have an SKB XRack, and while it's ok, the back hatch sucks, gets in the way of connections, is kind of flimsy. You want an Anvil style case, plywood with a plastic laminate over it, riveted valances and latches. Those things will last forever, and if you look around they can be found used for about 30% of retail.

7. I'm using an SKB 6U rack and it's fit my amp very well. I compared the SKB cases to the Gator and went SKB as I felt they we're better built (IMO) and the latches seemed to work better. Here's a pic for reference:

photocopy2.

8. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

So what if it's not popular, also you replied and there are several others already replying about it on a forum of thousands of people. So don't discourage the guy.

I use a Tour 700, great head, solid-built like a tank. I use the Gator 2U case. I had to take the feet off the 700 to make it fit but otherwise not bad. I used to think I needed alot of airflow, but after owning the Tour 700 for a bit I realized the fan was fairly powerful and this head doesn't really get hot. I'll agree with the guy quoted in my thread here that there is no real answer, and it's all opinion, but I'm pretty sure that is what you asked for our thoughts (opinions) on it.

Enjoy man.

9. Agreed, I see a lot of people bashing this amp, and have considered upgrading, but why? Why spend the cash when this amp does everything I need it to and more? It powers my Mesa 412 and will literally take your ability to hear away from you, I really don't need anything else. I bought the Peavey brand based off of past experience with them (went to high school and used an old combo that had been dropped off stages, etc) that was two years ago, that combo is still running strong, as is my amp.

I'll also give a +1 to taking the feet off the amp, you'll have to do so if you want to put the amp in a rack comfortably. I just kept the feet and threw them in my bass case, never know when you'll need them.

10. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    Use whatever you want. I had one and never had heat issues even playing with it outside. I used a Kaces 2 space rack bag for mine.

11. ergbass

ergbass

Nov 26, 2010
    Argentina
    Thank you all!! Really helpfull answers!!