1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Tour VB-2 and a Hartke HX810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by QPNBASS, Apr 20, 2010.

1. QPNBASS

QPNBASS Guest

Apr 20, 2010
    I have read the stickies. I have understood most of it. Watts, OHMS, Underpowering and the like.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no way I can use an 810 with my dream amp or any tube amp for that matter. There simply aren't enough watts to power the damn thing.

I must sound like a fool with this post but I am hoping someone will tell me there is a way.

2. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Underpowering is hardly an issue in an instance like this.

I assume the Peavey runs 200W at 4 ohms, the cab is 4 ohms.

So there is no issue.

Edit: How would you explain the thousands of people who have used SVT's into 810s?

While the threads linked at the top can provide some insight, take it all with a grain of salt. They are still the opinions of people who may or may not have a clue what they are talking about.

3. Underpowering is a myth.

If it wasn't, the speakers would explode when you turned off your amp.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    not a fool...just badly misinformed by dolts who think they have a clue. i have successfully run my 810 with a b-15n head. if you don't know, the b-15n puts out a whopping 25w rms and about 50w peak.

underpowering is a complete myth. if you blow a speaker by clipping your amp, it's not because the amp was underpowered. it's because the amp can put out about twice its rms wattage on peaks, and the clipping OVERpowered the speaker.

5. +1 Agree with the 2 above posts!! You aint a fool, just it takes time to grasp ALL the info re this topic. I use a 100w all tube Ampeg into a 810 or a 610 regularly. The PEAVEY VB-2 into an 810 would be a superb rig!!!!!!! Go for it. It'd do you for ever basically

6. The other side of the coin is that you are using a comparatively low power amp. 200W is still only 200W. If that is sufficient for your needs that's good. If you NEED 400W a 200W amp is never going to cut it even through an 8x10.

Paul

7. Peavey VB-2 is 200 watts of ALL TUBE POWER.. Should be plenty for just about any applications I would think.

Paul, I really have a hard time thinking how that amount of output would not provide appropriate stage sound and even fill a small-medium room with little P.A. support.

I have a rack system (including the Crown Xti-1000 as a power amp-gives me 1000 watts bridged into 8 ohms). Most applications I run one side at 275 watts and plenty for stage.

O.P. , please tell me about the rig in question as I have deliberated getting a cost effective all tube (e.g. VB-2 or Traynor YBA-200-2).

Thanks, Marc:bassist:

8. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I own a Peavey VB-2 and a Ampeg 8x10 ...... I can tell you your fears are unfounded .. you'll get plenty of volume to really shake a room with those 225 watts ... how it will sound with a ported 8x10 .... cabinet I don't know .... but I do have a 4x10 ported cabinet ...and that VB-2 is more than capable of loud volume with the 4x10 ... guitarist's just cringe when I show up with any of these rigs ... knowing they will be put in there place !!!!!!!!
    4410169212_458b7b33ab.
    4329924665_37f376accd.
    4423474869_f83e454994.

9. I played a peavey alpha bass (225 watts all tube) through a peavey tvx 810, and it was ear bleedingly loud. Don't discount speaker dispersion.

10. QPNBASS

QPNBASS Guest

Apr 20, 2010
    @ Moosehead1966

I've only tested it at GC paired with a GK 410rb and it sounded phenomenal compared to my rig (Peavey Tour 450, ART MP Studio Tube Pre, Hartke VX 410&115). Though that isn't saying much. Haven't had a chance to test it with anything else yet.

11. Hi Marc,

Doesn't matter how derived, 200W is 200W period. If the band a player works with requires he/she have more power available then a larger amp is necessary. When I gig I have 700W available to me into a pair of 2x10s. I too do not bridge, I run in parallel mono, one cab per channel. I have never used that full amount but I play classic rock, Blues. country and swing. If a player is playing loudly he might need more. The efficiency of the cabinet also gets into this too. Bottom line you need to be as loud as you need to be to fill the mix of the music you are playing.

As to a full tube amp: I've been there, done that and I'm not interested in going back. I'll not use a full tube amp again. That said, I admit that I do like to have a tube in the signal chain somewhere. Just not in the output stage.

Paul

12. Ok, 200 ALL TUBE watts =/= 200 solid state or even hybrid watts. Just try out an Orange AD200B and then try some SS 200 watt amp and tell me this isnt true.

IMO, and all that jazz of course.

Im very interested to hear why you have been turned off of tube amps and onto solid state amps. The only SS amp ive owned is a Fender Rumble 15 practice amp and solid state just doesn't float my boat.

13. in fact 200w = 200w no matter what is producing them.
    the thing that a tube power amp can clip and put out more that 200w (in clipping mode) and still sound good is another story

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That is a 200 watt tube head with 4X12 & 4X15 and he will melt your face off!

4538794778_b1f5705759_o.

15. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    No. That is a 100w Superbass.

To the OP: I use a 100w Superbass into a "500w" avatar 2x10. Never not had more than enough volume.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Is that your coffee shop rig?

17. Correction! it is a 100 watt tube head! and it WILL melt your face off!

18. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Your right, sorry, it's ONLY 100 watt. In concert he uses two of these rigs, bring ear plugs!

19. I have the VB-2 and it is PLENTY loud, don't worry about the numbers they are just numbers.
    The VB-2 is an awesome head and don't let ANYONE talk you out of it!
    Teamed with a 810 I cannot imagine what it wouldn't be loud enough for except maybe 20,000 seat areas.

20. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.