Peavey TVX 4x10 dead in the water...yes I searched.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by God's Favorite Bass, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. So, I have a Peavey TVX 4x10 that went poop last week when all the sudden it's only sound emitted was from the horrendous tweety-ma-thing. The 10s decided to nap. I searched threads already, saw pictures of crossovers, none looked like mine.

Got the "just bypass crossover and hook it up full range" suggestion from these searches, opened it up, removed crossover, wired the 10s 2 wires (yellow/blue in this case) to normal jack, buttoned it up, plugged in and nothing, zip. Head works fine with other cabs so not the issue. What am I missing here?!?! Should be all good I would think but what the *&+$ am I missing? All connections on speakers are solid, brand new jack. I should say I'm cabinet illiterate but this shouldn't be rocket appliances or is it?

Ideas? Here's my crossover I removed. 26913757_1570491003040077_1336531145_n.jpg 26994461_1570490706373440_515832618_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    What head were you driving it with?

3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    You are down to pulling all the drivers and testing them one at a time (straight to the speaker connection terminals. You may have to cut up some cable to make a test cable). Don’t just meter them, drive some music through them and see if they work at all and if so, if you hear any dragging or scraping sounds.

This is quick and dirty home testing. Using sine wave tones would be better, but explaining that gets involved. See if the drivers work at all one at a time first.

4. Fender Rumble 500 v3 head. Works fine with my Bassman Pro 4x10 and also with my Ampeg 1x15 Classic, so no amp issues.

5. The cones seem ok manually moving them a little but haven't tried one at a time with a signal. If one driver is bad does it kill the chain? A lug came loose on a speaker in my Bassman 4x10 and it just made the cab sound farty since that speaker was flapping about but this might be something different if I'm understanding you?

6. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    You are narrowing down where the failure is. Eliminate the drivers, then look at the crossover and connectors.

If the speaker are wired in series for whatever reason (to achieve a certain impedance), then one speaker that's developed an open circuit (like a break in the coil winding somewhere), then yes, all the speakers won't work. Most cabs that I've come across are wired in a combination of series-parallel. So if a single speaker quit, then only one more speaker wouldn't work.

It would be best if you check the individual speakers and get back to us with your findings. This discussion can go on and on, but we need to get you headed on the road to repair and working again. I, as more than likely others, will follow this thread to try and help.

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You can test each speaker with a 9 volt battery.

8. I'll check it out one at a time and see what shakes out. Thanks!

9. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Is your TVX a 4 or 8 ohm?

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Man, cutting out the crossover certainly wasn't the FIRST step to take. Now you have additional repairs to do once you identify and THEN repair your cabinet.

How come you cut your crossover first? Was it something that you read on the internet posted by somebody who had no troubleshooting skills whatsoever yet professed to be an internet expert?

Systematically test each driver, at low volumes, directly to the amp. As GeriO suggested, a test cable will be necessary. Do not short the ends of the test cable together or you will be reading up on how to repair your currently functioning amp also (which is not user repairable).

It's not rocket science, but it's not Neanderthal either.

God's Favorite Bass and Geri O like this.
  11. I read about bypassing ( I.e. having no) crossover on threads here after searching them like I said, but all pictured crossovers had actual plug ins on the harness to crossover connections for the same cabinet where mine was nope.. Being I wasn't going to use it either way and always ran it with tweeter off I just wanted it out..sorta like a bad tooth, however you are correct and I should have used something like the soldering pencil I used to wire the jack rather than a rock. I should not do angry repairs as I know better.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  12. 8 ohm.

13. I had 2 TVX 410s and those things sound great. If only they were not so heavy. Good luck with the repair!

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  14. Yes...heavy. I swear if I hadn't peeked inside I'd say there was a body in it. I used a Peavey 1x18\2x10 cab for years that was either lighter or I was younger, one or the other. And thanks, I hope it works out too or burns easily.

15. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, someone gave me the one I have - it lives in a rehearsal space, too stoopid heavy to gig :meh:. Mine has a blown tweeter, I bypassed the crossover and it sounds great :) .

16. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, kindof a waste of $$$ to replace all the drivers. If you were closer I'd sell you mine cheap cheap cheap LOL.