1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey TVX115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ranjam, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ranjam

ranjam

Sep 4, 2008
    Canada
    Hello! As my very first post, I am going to pick everyone's brains. Does anyone use just a Peavey TVX 115 as their one and only cabinet? I am tempted just because the price is so darn cheap. I seem to be able to pick it up easily enough in the store, so weight isn't an issue. Would putting casters on it change the sound that much? Any other pros/cons? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. ranjam

ranjam

Sep 4, 2008
    Canada
    Too late. I bought it ($300), and it's pretty cool. It's not heavy, but the deeper size does make it a little awkward loading into my van at 3AM after a few beers :help:. But it has great tone for a non Black-Widow speaker. Assuming you thought Black Widow speakers sounded awesome ;). The only other cab I seriously considered was an Ampeg 'B' series 4 x 10", but at twice the price :eek:. $300 buys a lot of beer.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    So the money you saved is going towards beer, and beer makes loading your equipment difficult, so you buy a cab that is deep, but allows you to buy more beer and........:eek:

Enjoy! :D

4. I added casters to my 115 BX without any issues.

5. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I did the same thing. Easy fix.

Liked it so much all my cabinets have casters on them now and I bought a wheeled, steel-framed suitcase with one of those retractable handles to use as an padded effects/assorted other junk case (after a little modification on the inside).

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Yeah, the casters WILL NOT affect your sound. Come on!

Good catch! You should get a matching 4x10 or 2x10 to sit on top of it!

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I thought the TVX115 came with a Black Widow standard. Anyway congrats on getting a cab that sounds good to you. I had a 115 TX about ten years ago with a Black Widow and liked it quite a bit. (edit) I looked on the Peavey site and see they currently come with a Sheffield 15. I'd pull it out and see if it isn't a Black Widow.

8. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England

i found when i put my castors on My Warwick 115 Pro that it lost a lot of the phat low end it had. but they unscrew, so i just take em off when i play!

i know its a different brand of cab, but just thought id tell ya

9. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    What you lose by adding casters is floor coupling, wich arguably, when you have an all 15" speakers setup, can be a good thing to reduce boominess, especially on wooden stages.

10. ranjam

ranjam

Sep 4, 2008
    Canada
    I might add casters. It's not really all that heavy; about 80-pounds compared to a 65-pound Avatar. But it is deeper, and can be tricky taking it down those rickety stage steps at 3AM. But, for $300, it is a great cabinet, Black Widow or no Black Widow. I checked the specs on the Sheffield, and the sensitivity rating is 99dB, so I know I'll be heard :). This beats the heck out of an older Peavey 4 x 10" cab I had that weighed in at 110-pounds :atoz:. My nuts would start hurting just looking at that cabinet. Just typing this, and that twinge is returning. Maybe when I am playing legions at 60-years old I'll spring for an Avatar, but for now, the TVX115 is it.

11. If you want to put casters on it and maintain floor coupling, just move the rubber feet onto the side of the cab and put the casters on the bottom. That's what I did - it was a better fit for throwing my fairly wide Sunn 4x10 on top of it that way too.

12. spaga

spaga

Sep 29, 2007
    I tried out the hartke HA250 head together with the peavey TVX115. I set the eq etc and had a verry good sounding bass, ( which can be felt as well on your body) which was also articulate/ clear even though being bassy.

I left the same settings of the amp and tried it with a hartke VX115. It had lower bass , and higher highs than the peavey.

I again left the same eq settings and tried it out with a hartke VX410. And it had lesser bass and more highs than the other hartke VX115.

I felt that the peavey produces a better bass, with a bit less highs, but is enough. You could also add another cab or add a tweeter to get those highs .

Could Consider that you could get a good bass even from the other cabs if you set the eq particulary for them.

13. ranjam

ranjam

Sep 4, 2008
    Canada
    Yes, it's up to the amplifier, but also your bass. I use my TVX115 with a Jazz bass, and it sounds great. Plenty of highs for me. If you want to know about 'less highs', I just picked up an old Bassman 1 x 15" cab with a JBL 2205A. Wonderfully light! :D With the felt dust cap it sounds pretty 'warm'. Or at least I would describe it that way to you if I was trying to convince you to buy this cab from me :smug:.