1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey TX 210 cab wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MangoSweat, Jul 5, 2012.

1. MangoSweat

MangoSweat

Jun 3, 2012
    Iowa
    I got a free peavey cab today! My band director asked if i wanted it because it has no speakers in it. One got punctured by a screwdriver and the other one was taken out and used in something else I guess. The crossover, tweeter, and wires are all still there.

This is where my question comes in. The speakers were wired in series, because there are wires coming from the input jack, and another wire connected to nothing that connected the speakers together. But the wire(s) that connected the speakers to one another isn't just a single wire. There are 4 wires connected to the input jack, and then two wires twisted together that would have linked the speakers. There are 3 blue wires, 3 yellow ones.

Am I clueless or is this normal for bass cabs? Which is positive and negative? And I was thinking about getting Emenice speakers for the cab, but would prefer those half aluminum-half paper speakers Hartke makes. (Speaker selection will probably be a thread of it's own)

I'm not too worried about speaker preferences, just knowledge about the cab itself. So anything you could tell me would be awesome.

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I'm not sure why there are so many wires, but Peavey uses yellow for positive and blue for negative for woofers.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    One of the pairs would be for the tweeter. The others??? Nothing wrong with a series connection if that's what's needed to get the right impedance but it doesn't have to stay that way if you use different woofers now.

4. MangoSweat

MangoSweat

Jun 3, 2012
    Iowa
    The tweeter is already wired. They used red and black for that. It seems like there's just double the amount of necessary wires, but I just wanted someone else's opinion too. TB is great for that! :D

5. MangoSweat

MangoSweat

Jun 3, 2012
    Iowa
    Thank you for clearing that up!

6. MangoSweat

MangoSweat

Jun 3, 2012
    Iowa
    Oh and another thing I forgot to post. The wires have a metal adapter or something on the ends? It's not just the raw tips of wire. Do I need to remove those when I throw new drivers in? I know there's soldering involved which I need a crash course in.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Spade terminals you just push onto the connections? Leave them there until you've selected drivers and see what kind of terminals the new ones have.

Like this?

[​IMG]

8. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    The metal adapter you are referring to sounds like a spade lug.
    Common termination for speaker wiring.

EDIT: will33 beat me to it.

9. MangoSweat

MangoSweat

Jun 3, 2012
    Iowa
    Yeah like that. Do I take them off when I get new drivers and hook them up?

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    They're made ti slide onto the terminals of the driver. Can leave them on there provided they're secure and fit the terminals of the new one.

Something tells me you may need advice on drivers too, unless you just get replacements from Peavey, which isn't a bad idea at all.

11. MangoSweat

MangoSweat

Jun 3, 2012
    Iowa
    Yeah I have limited knowledge. Eminence makes good stuff I hear, and cheap at that. I kind of wanted some hybrid Hartke drivers, but it's next to impossible to buy those anywhere, 'cept straight from Hartke for replacement, but I'm not sure if they will sell them since my cab isn't a Hartke. But other suggestions are welcome.

12. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I actually had that same cab years ago and I replaced the Peavey drivers with Eminence BP102's and it worked very well...however, what I didnt know at the time is that the BP102's frequency cut-off is 2,000hz, and if your crossover is like mine, it is set at 3,500 hz or 3.5khz...so that will leave you with a big hole in between the 2khz and 3.5 khz...this may or may not make any difference at all to you..but just thought I would throw it out there.
    For me, I could've cared less...the cab sounded great.

13. MangoSweat

MangoSweat

Jun 3, 2012
    Iowa
    Well I'm more than likely getting some eminence drivers for the cab. It was free, so I'd be thrilled if it just sounded above decent! I'm also looking at some Carvin drivers because of their higher wattage, but any DECENT drivers should due as long as they are under say $100 a piece

14. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    You can get the Peavey pro 10's from Parts Express for just under $100 a pair. They should be pretty close to what was in that cab originally.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Speakers have 30some different specifications that make them sound the way they do, and if put in the wrong box, will suffer in performance and tone anyway. Diameter is but one of those specs and is among the least important.

Anyway, the BP102's mentioned play real deep and can take a good amount of power. In exchange for that, you get less uppermid response and lower spl. They are good drivers though in the right application.

What's going to really cut down your choices though is ending up with an 8ohm 210 so you can stack another cab with it for bigger gigs. Most replacements only come in 8 ohms leaving you with the options of a 4 or 16 ohm cab.

Several months ago, I went on a search for affordable but decent 4 or 16ohm 10" drivers. There's very little out there. Most where either dirt cheap with non-existant specs and couldn't be of any kind of quality, or really expensive high-end stuff that makes no sense for an average weekend warrior bassist. My goal was to load up a couple of cabs I have with something "affordable bit decent" and pass them on to some local bassplayer out there who needed to get a decent sounding gig volume rig that disn't break the bank.......the cabs are still sitting here empty.

The bp-102 does come in 4ohms. Aside from that, look to possibly ordering something from Peavey, Avatar, or somewhere that won't rake you over the coals for a "name brand, OEM" driver that doesn't have any better performance than an off-the-shelf model that costs 1/2.

MCM Electronics or Dayton occasionally have some decent stuff, but you have to know what to look for. If Eminence offered a 16ohm basslite....I'd buy several.