1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey TXF - are these cab worth salvaging

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babebambi, Apr 14, 2009.

1. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Hi guys,
    I came across a pair of Peavey TXF cab with blown speakers on the local CL (210 and 410). I am thinking of getting them for cheap and loading them with new speakers. I may offer up to $80 CAD.

3/4" plywood, carpet-covered
    with metal corners and an
    expanded metal grill
    28.25" x 24.50" 19.25"
    96 lbs.

Any comment on the build quality of Peavey cabs?
    Are they of decent design?
    Where do you suggest I get more info on how to chose the replacement speaker drivers? I don't think I want to get the original drivers.

Thanks.

2. Jaybird1969

Jaybird1969

Mar 21, 2009
    I don't know much about what speakers would be the best for it, but anyone who has owned one can tell you that Peavey's cabinets themselves are near-indestructible... I'd say $80 for the two of them is more than fair. I have a 410tx that I fully expect to outlive me.

They're definitely a workout though, so you want to get some solid casters for sure.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I would not buy them just to "savage" them - that's probably already been done - but I'd maybe consider buying them to salvage them ; }

Peavey (or a Peavey dealer) of course is the place to get direct replacement drivers, and they have printed and online guides of what cabs use what drivers. But it's likely that other driver replacements would work decently in them too as long as the tuning of the box suits the drivers chosen, or you are capable of retuning them.

From what I've seen of 210 and 410 cabs almost everybody is tuning theirs so that most drivers commonly seen in bass guitar cabs work decently, though I think it wise not to mix two different specs in one cab.

4. I have a peavey 2x15 tour cab and its a beast . Got to be the best sounding 2x15 cab I have ever used .

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Heck, for $80 you can load those cabs with drivers you like and be a happy camper.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Definitely well built cabinets. You're not really going to save a lot of money though - putting a set of new drivers in there is gonna cost you 300+ bones just for a 4x10. So by the time you drop 380 bones on a 4x10 you could get an Avatar or something brand new with warranty.

Still, if you threw a set of basslites in there you'd probly have a darn fine cabinet.

Edit: By the way if you throw neos in there you should save 10-20lbs of weight. The 96lbs is with speakers I'm sure.

7. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    lol
    damn it, I knew better then to post without previewing

Yes, I intend to put in higher quality drivers, the original will only give lower (lower than I like anyways) sensitively and power handling. That's why I want to know about the construction quality of the CAB. For example will it be able to handle 250w per driver, structurally. Tuning it to have decent freq response will be the next chapter.

Thanks for the comments and advices, please keep them coming.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

It doesn't seem worthwhile to do.

1. You need the original Peavey drivers or else the cab won't perform as they intended. Switching away from the original is a crapshoot. Assuming they designed it properly in the first place.

2. New drivers won't be cheap.

3. It weighs a ton.

9. I have the 410TXF. Very nice cab. Solid, good sounding.

Are all the speakers blown ?!

You're call really.

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That's the question. You could make one or the other work by swapping if enough of the speakers are good. Either is easily worth the cost. At that point, it's a no-brainer.