1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey US Millennium experts. Check this out.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by synterx, Mar 22, 2009.

1. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I've had a half dozen, and have always, always wanted a black/maple 5. I literally have been searching for 2 years for this bass. I check ebay 1-2 times a day, and the classifieds here and on Harmony Central.

I sit down a few minutes ago, do the routine, and BAM! My dream bass is on ebay, and at $499, a fair price.

Funny thing, it's about 45 minutes away from me no less at a Music Go Round.

Anyway, the only weirdness is the tuners. Not one I've ever had had anything but Hipshot non-sealed tuners. But this one has the Gotoh types that Cirrus' have, but in the same black/chrome style. Very weird. I don't like them, and will simply switch them with one of my 2 others Mill 5's.

But my question to you is, has anyone ever seen these tuners on a Millennium before? Some odd model or something?

2. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Both Millenniums that I have owned have had those tuners on them, a Plus and a standard model.

3. I think I recall my 4J and 5 Plus having those tuners, my my 4 Plus BN has the Hipshot styled tuners.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Here is my post awhile back about the differences between the standard model and the plus model. Your black one is a standard like my black one.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5184336&postcount=133
    Between the two, I liked my standard model better (including the tuners) so when I got my Cirrus I sold the plus and kept the standard. YMMV

5. synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    wow, never knew. I must have had all pluses over the years. The bridge, preamp, all seem the same. How hard would it be to switch whole necks between two, it appears the holes on the two styles of tuners are different. Are neck swaps something I could do? Or a tech pro?

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mine has the sealed tuners. Mine is not a plus; it's a standard with birdseye neck/matching headstock option. :)

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    right, the only difference I can tell between the plus and the standard (at least in the 5 string version) is the fancy flamed maple top and the tuners. Everything else is the same.

8. synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Well, straplocks and a hardshell case came too. But I don't use hardshell cases, and I can buy the Dunlops for $20 locally, so no sweat there.

I'm thinking the holes might line up between the Hipshots and Gotohs. That would be nice if I didn't have to pull the neck off. I'm afraid switching necks will goof them both up.

I can't wait to get the thing. Black metallic with all maple neck is my ultimate rock bass. Now I have to decide which of my other 3 basses I will sell. That will be tough.