Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey USA Millenium

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgartist, Jul 9, 2004.

1. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone know why these came and went so quickly? I never saw one in a store, but they look sweet. I'd still like to try one. Any owners out there who can give a review?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're still out there. I saw one hanging at my local Sam Ash today, but it was locked up on its hook.

As to why they came and went, my guess is that (a) it's hard to convince people to buy a high-end Peavey; and (b) the people who were convinced to buy a high-end Peavey went ahead and bought a Cirrus instead.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I own a Millennium Plus 4 with a maple fretboard and also a Plus 5 with a pau ferro board. I happen to think that they are great basses that just never caught on for whatever reason. Very versatile instruments that were priced very close to the Cirrus line new. If you have specific questions let me know.

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Dropping the USA Millenium line was one of the dumbest things Peavey has done. What a wonderful instrument they were.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I owned two of them, a Millenium Plus 4 with the J/MM pups, and a Millenium Plus 4 Jazz Bass. Both were great basses, I don't know why they never really caught on either.

6. I've also had two,one I sold to ebozz and the other is a standard 5 with a maple board that is my favorite bass.I've been through Fenders,a Pedulla,Kingston,Carvin, an older Yamaha and now have an 80's Guild Pilot 5 for my backup to the Millenium.The Guild Pilot 5 is great but the best backup I had was when I had the pair of Milleniums.They are very solid and have a verstile EQ.The necks are fairly slim and all the hardware is the best.I don't know what happened with them either but if you can find a used one they are a steal.Great basses.

7. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I bought mine last year - it was new but pretty shopworn and on the clearance rack at a Daddy's Junky Music store (a New England chain that sells new and used). Last time I was there, they still had a new, but worn, lavender one for sale. If there is a similar chain in the Chicago area - they may have some new ones and used ones should be showing up at shops.

I agree with Christopher as to the quick demise - they were originally priced against USA Fenders and Music Mans. Except for the Cirrus - not enough folks were willing to part with that much money for a Peavey (even tho' they were worth it). I paid $500 for a regular 4-string.

If I am not mistaken the Millennium BXP models are from Korea and they look great and sell for pretty short money. Peavey is hoping that they'll have better luck against MIM Fenders, OLPs and other imported instruments.

8. I'm not sure about the BXP, but I have a Millenium 5 AC BXP and it's made in Indonesia. I love it all the same, regardless of where it was made though.

I've played the regular BXP, and the AC model is a big step up for little cash difference. Mine was in the neighborhood of $360 with tax. Nice wide neck, solid b for the price, string through bridge, only grip as far as playability, is tight spacing. As for tone, it has 18 volt electronics (sorta, the eq is 9v and the pickups take a seperate 9v, but they market it as 18), and two active VFL soapbars, supposedly the Cirrus series pickups, but I doubt that. I do think they are really nice for the price though, and a huge step up from the BXP jazz pickups. They have a nice natural growl to them, not as much as a good jazz, but pretty close, and though the eq is undoubtedly cheap, it does a decent job of adding a good range of tones to the intstrument. It reminds me a lot of the Performance series from Spector tonewise.

As far as looks and reliability, it's cheap but it's pretty. A few little bad spots such as; a rough spot on the neck finish, scratchy blend pot, and cheap hardware. However it is built like a tank, I promise that.

Still, about a month back, they had two USA Milleniums on e-bay, that took a few times on the block, to go at buy it now prices, under $500 on the five string and under $400 on the four. If you're comfortable going this route, keep your eyes open and you could probably find another one in that price range.

9. If your not far from Mundelein,GREAT LAKES MUSIC had a couple of brand new ones for sale. At least they did about a month ago. Very cool basses :cool:

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I bought my 5 string new in 2001. I played several Cirruses first but preferred the Millennium. The fit and finish are excellent; better than my Fender American Deluxe. Sound from the stacked j and humbucker is on the traditional side and sounds less "modern" than the Cirrus. The 35 scale does not bother me in terms of playability and the bass has a terrific B string- better than any of the Stingray fives I auditioned. The ultra satin finish on the back of the neck is especially nice. Yes, it is a shame that these are discontinued. If you can find one used they are priced low and are a great buy. :)

11. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Did some bass shopping today - the BXPs in the shop were made in China not Korea as I guessed before. The AC BXPs as Sigkill noted were made in Indonesia.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    There was a post on the Peavey board by one of their employees (A.J.) stating that the Ameriacn made Millennium series is going back into production. No ship date as of yet.

13. jb63

jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I think it was due in large part with the introduction of Lakland's Skyline series which is a far superior intrument at a lower price.

Anyone else concur???????

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't concur. Based on the Skylines that I have touched, I would say that the Millennium is the better of the two. At worst I think that they are pretty equal.

15. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    A lot will depend on the price that stores will be selling them.
    I've never played a Lakland, but don't they sell for $1,100 or so. If Peavey can provide better sound/features at the same or lower price than maybe it has a chance. My Millennium (4 string in basic black not one of the plus models with the nice tops and fingerboards) was a closeout so I paid less than half of that. I hope there is a price at which Peavey and the retailers can make a profit and bass players are willing to pay so that we will have an additional choice in the active-pickup bass market.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I disagree completely. The Skylines are great values. But the fit & finish on the few USA Millenniums that I have seen was far better than the Skylines. And I much prefer the VFL pickups to that puny imitation MM Bart that the Lakland 02/94 series has. I love the Lakland 02/94 series with the optional Basslines pickups, but can't stand the stock Bart setup. I even prefer the MK-1 setup in the 01 series to the 02/94 Bart setup.

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Doesn't the Skyline 55-02 sell for around $1,100.00?

18. jb63

jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Sorry if my first post ruffled a few feathers. Ultimately the choice of which one is better comes down to personal opinion.

I got my 55-01 for $750 new. The store also had the 55-02 for $950 (I thought the 55-01 with mk-1 pups sounded better). The cheapest price I found for the Peavey was $1100. I played both the Millenium and the Skyline and to me the electronics (with the mid-sweep knob) on the Millenium I played were very noisy. I thought it played really nice, but to me the B string didn't feel right (the only basses I've played that have a nice tight B string are Laklands and Sadowskys).

I've read posts on TB about people complaining about fit and finish on Skylines. I suspect quality has dropped some since their introduction. Mine is from the first shippment the store received in '02. I A/B'd my Skyline with a Lakland USA and to me the only big differences were the weight, the look of the wood and of course the electronics (I still have G.A.S. for the USA preamp).

I also have to wonder if name recognition has something to do with public opinion concerning the two intruments. At a glance, judging by the name alone, comparing Peavey and Lakland is like comparing apples and oranges. IMHO, the Millenium is the best bass Peavey has produced and the Skyline is the worst of the Laklands. I suppose at best/worst the two are pretty much equal. Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Unfortunately, I never got to try any of the First Run Skylines and all of the Millennium basses that I have tried or own are from early production runs. The two that I own were made in 2000. Maybe that has a big impact on why I feel the way that I do.

The electronics on mine are extremely quiet and I also think the B on the Millennium 5 is not the greatest. It is acceptable though. When I said that the Millennium was the better of the two in my earlier post, I meant from the overall standpoint. What's better to each individual is up to that person to decide.

Finally, as much as I like the USA Millennium I don't think that I would say it's the best bass that Peavey has produced. There are others that could be considered for that title. I'm sure that a lot of the Cirrus owners would nominate their instruments. ;)

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Lakland site has the list price of the Standard 55-02 at $1599.00 and the Deluxe at $1799.00. Very similar to the Millennium prices if you ask me.