1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Valveking Head for Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zillo, Mar 23, 2006.

1. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    100W all-tube power
    Texture variable Class A/B simulation control
    2 footswitchable channels
    EQ and volume for each channel
    Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel
    Reverb with level control
    Buffered effects loop
    Resonance and presence controls
    Dual speaker jacks in parallel
    4 - 6L6GC power amp tubes
    3 - 12AX7 preamp tubes
    4, 8, or 16 ohms
    21-1/3"W x 18-1/4"H x 10-1/4"D
    44-1/2 lbs

500 bucks!

This seems like it might work. I know there are a lot of tube lovers out there, and if you have some thoughts as to how this might work, and how it might compare to a tube bass head, say the Ampeg B4H (the new one), that would be helpful. Is the valveking too good to be true for a bass player?

I play passive fender basses, and like r&b, blues, reggae, jammy kind of stuff. I love the warmth of tubes, but I'm a poor boy:)

Thanks!

2. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Oh yeah...this is a guitar head. I also use an avatar b212 cab.

Thannks!

3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I've gigged with the VK head plugged into a 410. I've also run the VK head into a 212 guitar cab beside my bass rig at band practice for distortion sounds.

My opinions:

The tone stacks in the VK are tuned a little low, which makes them good for bass, but there is not a whole lot of control. The distortion channel does not suck out a lot of low end, so it works pretty good for bass. Although the amp can get loud through a good cabinet, there is not a lot of clean headroom to play really big rooms, even with two cabinets, but I got plenty loud in a small bar. I think another 100 watts would go a long way.

4. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Thanks a lot. Sounds like you like it, but maybe a few more watts would be good.

5. My guitarist tried one once, and I didn't like the tone at all it got for the guitar. It was bassy though, so it may be decent for bass.

6. This is an old thread, but the search brought me here, so allow me to bump it since Im considering using this head. Anyone else got any experience with it?

7. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    All I can offer on this one is that volume-wise the 100w that this head has is nothing compared to a Marshall 100 watter. I'd pass and look for a Sovtek Mig 100 or Bassov in that price range. Or better yet find an old Ampeg V4 or V4b.