1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey VB-2 bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rjr225, Mar 4, 2010.

1. rjr225

rjr225

Nov 23, 2008
    ma.
    Anyone own or have used one of these?
    I'd like to go to an all tube amp but can't
    afford an AMPEG CL or any high priced amp.
    I've heard some goods things and they are
    in my price range. I always liked Peavey products
    but not sure about this one.

2. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    VERY nice amps. Give one a try, the vb2 is one of the more under appreciated bass heads these days.

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It's a good head. I have played through a few and everytime I have used one I get the urge to go buy my own. I have not used the second channel / overdrive much so I can't comment much on it.

I have seen these at GC for $499.00 new. If you can get one of those it makes it even better.

4. $499.00 new,really?where? I just checked gc webpage and saw them for $899.00. I will go out of my way to pick one up for $499.00

5. For the price you really can't go wrong IMO. Great amp.

I got mine for $900 Canadian and it was worth it all the way.

... there are a fair few threads on it aswell

:bag:

6. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Just another user chiming in. Love mine, rock solid and versatile.

7. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    $431.24 - i LOVE the OD channel, the clean ch. seems too thin for me so i run a sansamp, but on the od...mmmmm pure tube!

8. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I's a great basic tube amp ... has enough power for most gigs, has great tone in the clean channel, works with about any cabinet combination ( has 2-4-8 ohm switch ), it's not that heavy, has a pretty good DI ...... it's been one of my amps I've been using recently and I really like it=get it, you won't be sorry

9. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    I've got one. Have got, or have had most of the other tube amps as well.

I think that the VB-2 is the best all around tube amp on the market today.

10. corradoc

corradoc

Dec 20, 2007
    New York City
    Agreed. Crank the master and use the gain as volume - instant grindy, tube tone. Hella loud to boot!

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I tested one through an Ampeg 810 (which is part of my own rig), didn't impress me...I had to crank the hell out of it, in contrast to my SVT VR. I would have really liked to run a VB3 in comparison to an SVT, but alas, none shipped at that time.

However, through a 410+15, 410, 115, 210, 212 really did impress me, but I just don't roll like that with gigs, that was the only dealbreaker.

12. I have one and it is easily one of the best sounding tube amps out there regardless of price

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Picked one up used last week. Tried it out at a gig Friday night and, although it was probably the worst possible venue to play music in (auditorium/ballroom) this amp did quite well through my SWR 6x10.

Not really much time to soundcheck so adjustments were made "on the fly" but when I got the "boomy-ness" down, it provided tons of volume and headroom and a very good amount of warm tube warmth.

Happy so far....will know more after a few more gigs...

14. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I love mine and use it most of the time these days due to it's versatility. You can control boominess very easy with the resonance control. I use mine @ 3 on the dial, it keeps the low end, but still sounds tight. Great tube amp.

15. oldrockerdude

oldrockerdude

Jan 16, 2010
    Indiana
    :hyper: I Just Opened Mine Set it up It has Been On for 2-1/2 hrs Now. No Flames Just Beautiful Tone Pluged into a Tour 210 and a Tour 115 I Think im Going to be Very happy.
    Features are awesome. Will have it out this Sat for real testing and dialing it in. I Hageled to get $675!

Attached Files:

16. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Beautiful setup!!!

17. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I just bought one on Friday night and have been jamming on it ever since. Really a great amp, and I'm comparing it to my SVT-CL. It's more flexible, more controllable with a powerful EQ. I love the thing. We'll see how I feel after a gig or two, but for now... it's fabulous. Warm, punchy, flexible... grab one on the cheap and consider yourself lucky.

18. oldrockerdude

oldrockerdude

Jan 16, 2010
    Indiana
    Great Rock and Roll Ralphdaddy I Like It!!

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020