1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey VB-2 Review!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S Lewis, Apr 17, 2009.

1. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Finally!

I drove from Charlotte NC to Knoxville to pick this baby up, and it was well worth the drive. I fired it up at practice today and finally understood what these tube guys have been talking about.

I set everything basically "flat" (Gain:4, Low:5, Mid: 6@ 400hz, High 4.5) with the master on 3.

Amazing dynamic tone with plenty of punch and tube growl even on the Clean channel. Solid lows, with nice throaty mids and a round top end. ( I play through a Peavey 410TVX and 115TVX). I had no problem supporting a Marshall JCM 800 (with 4x12) and a Fender Twin combo with un-mic'd drums and our vocal PA...with the master on 3!!!!

here's a crappy picture! :hyper:

The overdrive channel is great, too. Very raw, dirty tone that cleans up if you lay off you attack. F'N AWESOME. I have no need for any distortion/overdrive pedals whatsoever. Nothing compares to the real thing.

Attached Files:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :bassist: :D

3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The VB-2 does great with the 410TVX.

4. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Yup, I'm gigging my VB-2 tonight. Though I'm using a SansAmp RBI and bypassing the VB-2 preamp. I really love the sound of the VB-2 EL34 power section.

5. I got a VB-2 at the end of December and I have loved it SO much.

Great Tube Amp for your money.

A few days ago one of my power tubes and a fuse were pooched. I got a new fuse put in (not sure what kind if that matters) and a pair of (only one of my tubes was done) Mesa Boogie EL34 Power Tubes for $49.

Should I have said something and tried to get some JJ EL34s or are the Mesa Boogie tubes pretty much the same tube?

6. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Very cool!!!! :D

Thanks for the review. I have much love for Peavey equipment.

I appreciate how you worded it "supporting" rather than the "competing" or "fighting against" that we often hear about. Sounds like you are a cool bassist with a great band attitude.

Congrats on the VB2. :bassist: