1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey VB2 enclosure rebuild.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DethByDoom, Mar 23, 2013.

1. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    So I got my self a very road worn looking Peavey VB2 head a while back. One of the handles had come off and it was just rough. (No pic, sorry) So I threw together a new enclosure with some repurposed wood. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364050539.174119.

It was put together without a lot of forethought or love. Sanding was meh since the wood was less than ideal. The finish was kinda rough looking and then a very thick and streaky urethane was applied. It was serviceable. So after much scheming I set out to make a new and much better looking enclosure.

2. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
  3. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
  4. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
  5. heavybrother

heavybrother

Aug 21, 2011
    Oregon
    That looks great!

6. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364051287.974595.

Went with solid pine to keep it light(its 10lbs lighter than stock) and so it'll will pair well with any custom wood finish cabs I may get down the line. Pine and Baltic birch look somewhat close IMO. It's glued and nailed(inch and a half finish nails) with simple but joints. The grills are from the original enclosure. Instead of the rubber handles on top I cut out "handles". Reused the stock rubber feet but spaced them to sit on ampeg cabs. The stain is minwax ebony. I brushed it on pretty thick and then wipped it off immediately. The urethane is minwax helmsman spar urethane semi gloss. Two somewhat light coats with a high quality fine brush.

When I took my time, used good woodworking tools(thanks to my guitarist), and measured everything 5x it was really easy to get the look I wanted. The only hiccup was being a 1/4" off when I drilled the chassis mounting holes. But that only cost me a day, some glue, and a dowel.

7. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
  8. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    New pic. Because its awesome.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1379996032.902244.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Chiming in to say....that is awesome.

Love it. How about doing a speaker cab like that?...:smug::D

10. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    beautiful end result

11. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Very nice!

12. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    Maybe one day if my cabs start looking like a lion's cheap love toy I'll strip, stain and finish them to match but not anytime soon. I'm not even gonna tackle a full cab build. Better left to pros.

13. Very nice job. Looks very cool. And lighter than the original. :thumbup:

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Well, it would still look pretty....and your avatar is disturbing......:meh::)

15. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    What thickness is the pine?

16. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    3/4 inch

17. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I'm amazed the old enclosure weighed 10 pounds more--what was it made of? Nice work all around!

18. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    I'd guess 5/8" birch ply? This is significantly less wood. Also no hardware, tolex, ect...

19. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Very impressive. I have an old Peavey Firebass head that could use that treatment. I'm not sure I'm that handy though...

Cheers!

MJW