Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey VFL pickups..is it worth changing them?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by groov'ster, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Have a Cirrus 6 string loaded with the VFL pickups. I am considering changing them out but would like to hear from anyone who has done / tried this.
    If you did what did you go with?

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Don't do it, if you do you'll regret it, I just receive my Cirrus last week and i'm loving every minute of it.

3. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    I just got a b-quad 5 with VFL and I was thinking about doing the same thing. The B isn't as balanced as the rest of them. Hmmm... who make direct replacement pickups for the VFL design anyway? and how much would they cost?

4. I have looked at Bartolini and Ken Smiths but neither offer replacements, routing would be needed. I can't speak of any other makers though.
    I like the sound of it also but I want to love it. Maybe it has just grown on me and I feel like I need a change but when I compare my tone to that of my fav players it is lacking something. They play Smith's and MTD's (bartolini). That is where my interest in changing them comes from.
    I am really interested in changing the electronics also because the EQ frequencies of the above basses is different than the Cirrus.
    Most of all I am looking to better my sound and I am unsure if the pickups and electronics is the way to go first, hence this thread.

5. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    My current rule on mods is, if you have to touch a router, sell the piece and find something you like. I'm coming from experience. It just isn't cost-effective to get into a lot of modification, and that Cirrus is a highly desired piece on the used market.

Suppose you rout it out, drop in some Barts and still aren't happy? It's a crap shoot that leaves you with a degraded instrument that you sure can't get your money out of, maybe even have trouble selling.

6. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    One thing to remember is that tone also comes from your fingers,
    not saying that there playing is superior to your's, but it's something to take into account.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    +1

I agree that it´s better to sell the instrument un-modified and buying something that suits better.

8. Yea thats been a concern of mine also because I don't want to ruin an already good bass. The local guitar doctor has been going over the pros and cons and that is the first thing that he brought up.
    I also brought up this question at
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210837 and got some good feedback.

9. What you need is a manufacturer that does 'Double Js'. Rio Grande do them (powerbucker). I can't speak from any experience though, the only reason I know is because I was considering buying a Fury at one point and thought about pickups.

10. Justin, I'm surprised you aren't going to try to fit some of those Lane Poors you have in it! How are you liking the b-quad. I have always wanted to try one of those out!

11. ModulusAcacia

Mar 22, 2000
    Sadly, what was once the world's largest collection of Lane Poors has dwindled to two sets that I'm using. I sold them off to pay for my custom Dingwall. :crying: but i was thinking that maybe one of the sets would fit in the B-quad without routing, just leaving gaps where the tabs on the sides are, but we'll see. As for the B-quad, I've only had it for a few days, i'm getting ready to tear it a part here soon. I'll let you know how it goes :) And you should head down the hill and get some pizza from me! :)

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

To route the bass would likely decrease resale and unlikely resolve your issue unless there were LOTS of replacement pups that fit the re-route that you could try - and change as your needs change. I'd guess if you don't find the tone objectionable, your just looking for something different. I haven't seen anything with the Cirrus track record that would indicate they's an issue with tone.

Another issue I've found with some PV pups (don't know if the Cirrus is the same) is they have a serious radius on them (presumeably to conform to the neck). I also assume the sensors are radius'd accordingly beneath the face, but PV could answer that. If that's the case, you could have a problem with string balance with a replacement pups.

If you've played your friends basses and the feel, comfort, and playability are acceptable, then it would make sense just to get one of them, especially if it wasn't a site unseen purchase. I had a buddy that played an MTD 5 and loved it. And you'd still have your Cirrus. God's own bass gets old after a while so having both may come in handy.

13. FWIW: Dingwall owners should NEVER use this :crying:
    smiley...unless they just dropped their Dingwall down a staircase or something.

14. ModulusAcacia

Mar 22, 2000
    I don't have mine yet does that count? I do have a fanned fret acacia though. I'm having it surgically removed from my left arm when I get my dingwall.

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    ya know, the funny thing is when I was playing my cirrus, people used to mistake my Cirrus for a Ken smith in terms of sound. I retell this story all the time, but I was sitting inside of Sylvan Music, waiting for a lesson from ym Teacher at the time and was jamming inside of the bass room, when a guy comes up to me and says, sounds awesome bud. Those smith's just produce tonal heaven, don't they? And I said "yeah, they do...but this is a Peavey Cirrus..." :eek: <---The Look on his face. So it's interesting to me, that myself and many other people find the Cirrus to be in the "Ken Smith" school of sounds.

Anyway, as a person who has owned 3 cirri, i believe I can make this interjection. I personally think they sound fantastic the way they are, although I would have just liked wider string spacing. I actually stumbled upon a Peavey Cirrus in Music Unlimited in Dublin about a year and a half ago and it was modded. It had EMG pickups in there. Out of curiosity, I plugged her in and tried her out. Kind of in the same school of sounds, but the EMGs sounded more aggressive. Some people hate the way EMG's sound, but I like them. Judging by the fact that you like Bartolini's and Ken Smith sounding basses, I don't know if the EMG's would be for you. However... giving you the option, I believe it's possible for you to find a pickup from themt that's smaller than the routes in the cirrus and you'll have to have a small gap or something, but it will work. Call EMG and ask them or Call peavey.