Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey VFL Pickups vs. other brands

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Blackbird, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm curious if anyone has checked Peavey's "vertical-flux loadng"(VFL) pickups. How do they compare to Barts, EMGs etc?

Will C.:cool:

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Since you can only get them on Peavey basses and Peavey doesn't offer basses with other brands of pickups, it's hard to say.

I don't get hung up on pickups, I take the bass as an integral unit. If it sounds great, I don't care if it's the woods, the pickups or what.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't get hung on pickups either, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask, in case someone actually had an answer. You never know who's lurking...

Will C.:cool:

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Most of the basses I've owned before my Peavey Cirrus have had pickup issues. The Kramer Pioneer had two Schaller double J pickups that were too muddy; my Guild Pilot had EMG PJ's that were too sterile; MIJ Squier Jazz pickups sounded cheap; EB StingRay pickup has grind but not growl, etc. The Peavey VFL pickups take the wonderful acoustic sound of my fretless Redwood 5 and make it loud, rich, deep, and clear. I rarely touch the 3 band EQ; changing hand positions/technique and pickup settings usually does the trick.
    Others have written that the Peavey VFL/EQ setup is one of the most transparent, passive-sounding systems available and I'd have to agree. I'm sure the 18 volt preamp has something to do with it. The only pickup/electronic setup that I've liked as much was the dual humbucker/Q filter setup on an Alembic Spoiler fretless I had. In both cases, I think it really helps that the pickups are reproducing the inherent tone of a very well-designed and well-built neck-through-body bass.