Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey vs. Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jan 10, 2002.

1. which company is better for bass cabs. im currently saving to buy a 4-10/1-15 stack, and i have narrowed it down to these two companies, which company is better? and can anyone tell me an estimated price for the peavey 4-10's and 1-15's? thanks
    -jon

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Subjective.

I'd go with the Peavey, though.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Carvin heads are better than Peavey heads however Peavey cabs are better than Carvin IMO

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I tried Carvin (borrowed a friends), I own Peavey...

5. Hey,

I played through a friends 4x12 Peavey years ago. Some other friends came over to band practice and we asked them if we were too loud. One of them replied "No it's not too bad except YOU (pointing at me) are rattling the trash can lids three blocks away"!

Man, I really dug that cab.

note: Keep in mind that Peavey and Eminence have been working together since the beginning of time, and look who uses Eminence now (almost every cab you like).

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have liked my Carvin gear and my Peavey gear too. I would say if you like how it sounds and the price is right, your answer will be in front of you.

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I just bought a 115 Black widow Peavey cabinet. This cabinet handles a lot of power and the bottom end is absolutely great. It also produces great highs.

For the price and durability, you can not beat Peavey.

8. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Buy the Peavey. It'll last forever and keep its value, not to mention sounding very much like ampeg.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    :confused:
    How does a Peavey sound anything like an Ampeg?

I don't find any common tonal characteristics.

The Peavey's not too warm, really... atleast, no where near as warm as the Ampeg. There's many tonal differences.

Especially when considering cabs.
    I think Ampeg cabs sound bland, while Peavey's come off as REALLY smooth (sometimes too smooth).

$.02

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd have to disagree with Carvin heads being better than peavey. The Firebass 700 is a great head.
    I to prefer Peavey cabs over carvin, especially for a 410. The Black widow isn't my fav. but it goes very well with a peavey 410. (not so well with other cabs)
    But, who are you kidding,
    You know what you REALLY want is a BAM 210.

11. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    out of those two, i say get the peavey cabinet.

12. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    IMO Peavey, but there is no better judge than your own ears and wallet.

Mike

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You can get the 410 for under $500.00 and the 115 for under $300.00.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    IMO they are pretty even. Both companies offer well constructed gear at good prices. It pretty much boils down to which sound you like better.

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think carvin amps are decent.. but they are really lacking in their cabs.... never heard good things about the cabs.. so I would say peavey cabs