1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey vs. Esp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cocas, Jun 4, 2007.

1. cocas

cocas

Apr 14, 2007
    Hi there. I was looking for a new bass (I decided I wanted to go from a 4 to a 6 string, I know it's weird, but...) and wasn't planning on spending much money. Still, I wanted something that sounded good. so I came across with the Esp Ltd b206sm and the peavey grind 6string. The thing is that ltd has active pickups and peavey doesn't :meh: , so I wonder, is active pickups that bigger deal? also, i've heard that the ltd b206sm pickups, altough active are not that good, since they are ESP, not EMG... :\ any thoughts? :confused:

[​IMG]
    esp ltd b206sm

[​IMG]
    peavey grind 6 string

2. I'm also interested in what people have to say about these two basses...

3. I've tried several Grinds that simply weren't up to snuff construction-wise: frets sharp enough to cut your fingers, bad glue joints, rough sanding, etc... I'd go with the ESP based on my experiences there.

...and I also went straight from a 4 to 6-string, although I've sinced settled mainly on fivers (simply didn't use the high-C enough in my playing) so it's not all that weird. :)

4. I'm interested in what people know about these two brands as well. I'm trying to decide between an ESP LTD Viper and a Peavey Cirrus DXP. Any help?

5. cocas

cocas

Apr 14, 2007
    yeah, the thing is that ESP only have a 6 string model :\ usually, when a brand have a great variety of the same kind of thing, it means they're investing on it :\ don't know about the ESP, heard good and not so good reviews. the reviews I read about the grind were kinda like yours, altough most of the people said it is a fine looking bass with a killer sound, most of them also said that it needed a little (or big:meh: ) set up when it came out of the package. did you liked the bass apart from that?

6. ESP makes four and five string versions of that same bass.

I would definitely go with the ESP over that Peavey. The Grinds that I have played have had terrible fretwork, muddy tone, and HORRIBLE B-strings. I'm talking about the WORST Bs I've ever heard. I have not had a chance to play that particular ESP, but I have liked most of their stuff that I've played.

7. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Peavey's are good, just not the Grind series. It's a shame you don't want a fiver because this is one heck of a bang for your buck....
    [​IMG]

8. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    The main difference is the sound (obviously) one will sound like a passive and one will wound like an active (obviously) So in that regard, it's a matter of preference. But I'm not afraid to say that you'd probably get better construction from ESP, but I don't know for sure cause I've never played a Peavy. Also, someone said they were thinking about buying an LTD Viper, I have one and highly recommend it. It's neck heavy as hell, but it's so comfortable and fun to play.

9. cocas

cocas

Apr 14, 2007
    sry about not giving the specs, I think it will help a bit.. the differences are not that big, except for the neck-thru on the peavey:

B-206SM:
    Construction / Scale: Bolt-On / 35”
    Body: Ash w/ Spalted Maple Top
    Neck / Fingerboard: 5-Pc. Maple-Walnut / Rosewood
    Nut Type / Width: Standard / 54mm
    Neck Shape: Thin U
    Inlays: Abalone Dots
    Frets: 24 XJ
    Binding: None
    Hardware: Black Nickel
    Tuners: ESP-LTD
    Bridge / Tailpiece: ESP DB-6
    Pickups: ESP SB-6 Set
    Electronics: Vol / Bal w/ ESP ABQ3 3-Band Active EQ

Grind™ Bass 6 BXP NTB
    # 35 inch scale
    # 24 frets
    # 6-string
    # Passive humbucking pickups
    # Mahogany neck with maple stringers
    # Imbuya wings
    # Neck-through-body design

thanks for the help so far:)

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I've played both of those basses and I liked the ESP much more than the Peavey. I should mention that I own a couple ESP LTD basses, so I might be a little biased. Anyway, that ESP will give a lot of performance for the money. Good luck.

11. The Grind I have is one of the best playing basses I've ever seen, great fretwork, great woods, smooth edges all around and very nicely put together except for the rout cover, which I sanded to fit a bit better. My only complaint is that the stock soapbars are a bit weak on output, and raising them doesn't help much...just puts them in the way of my hand. I'm currently debating whether to sell mine or put some nicer pickups in it...I figure if I have to customize, why not get a Squier VMS one to customize and have money left over in the end. They're nice players as well IME. If I replace the pickups, I'll probably go with a hot wound set of Jazz pickups instead of a soapbar set and simply put pickup rings round the empty space like on a yamaha.

dkelley likes this.
  12. The Grind series that I played in the store didn't seem to have much or any finish on the wood. It felt like I was holding a sanded block of wood from the hardware store. This includes the neck. The stock strings are crap (as seems to be the case on most peavey's). I didn't like the Grind I tried. I haven't tried the ESP you're wondering about.
    I did just order an ESP Viper 404...but I never got to play it in a store - since no one had it. So i'm just hoping I like it. Other ESPs I've tried I liked.

13. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Get the ESP, all other peavey basses I would go with just not the Grind.

14. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I've prolly said this before, but hey, when opportunity rises.. :) So: I've tried several low end Peavey basses in the local guitar shop; they all sounded dull, no presence, no punch, nothing. On the other hand, I owned an ESP B-50 (notice: MII) and sounded better than most other basses in the same price range. Where am I getting at? Peavey makes some good mid/high end basses, but the low end ones are rubbish. Now in my opinion the competition between brands (should) start(s) from their cheapest basses and all the way to the most expensive ones. There are a lot of companies that make good mid/high end basses, but not many that are able to deliver good (or at least decent) low end basses. From this point of view, ESP wins, at least in my book. Why? Well, when you're an experienced player you know what type of sound you want and what to look for in a bass, but when you're a beginner, choosing between certain brands on price/quality, you'll prolly end up with a low end bass. Now if you're satisfied by its performance, chances are you'll stick with that particular brand and upgrade to a better instrument. But if you discover - as experience builds up - that you bought a not so good bass, you'll prolly look for a different brand as your next purchase. So in my opinion keeping a loyal fan base of musicians should be one of the most important goals of any brand. And you can do that only by offering good quality even on your lower end products. My 2 cents...

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021