Peavey Vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by some guy#2, Jun 21, 2002.

1. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Pardon my pedestrian thinking BUT to my mind Peavey now seems to me to be an as good as, IF NOT A BETTER than starting place for a begining bassist. For that matter non beginers also.
    I'm not saying Fenders aren't valid as they clearly are.

I am inclined to say new Peavey basses are a better value than new Fender basses.
    At least to my ears & fingers!
    Of course "taste" comes into play also!

What about you? What do you think?
  2. Strangelove

Oct 29, 2001
    Peavey basses are very nice. I've got a Fury IV, and it's a great instrument. She has to be about the cheapest active bass with great quality that I know of. She's also very light, with a thin neck, so it's very easy to get around. Definately a nice bass.
  3. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Ah brother, welcome!
    (some guy#2 gestures for Strangelove to make him/herself comfortable)

I myself picked up a Fury V used for two bills! I am completely sold!
    I also love the Millennium's & Cirrus's at the local shop.
    BEAUTIFUL basses...just beautiful!
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That's sort of a tough one.

If you are talking about entry level stuff, I would agree. I am not sure which one I played not too long ago (Milestone maybe?), but I thought it was a good as a Squire or even some MIMs.

But Peavey isn't unique in that respect. There are plently of entry level guitars out there are usable as either Peavey or Fender.

If you are talking MIA Fenders verses the nicer Peavey stuff, the the comparison is kind of lost altogether. They are totally different animals.

Fender is still Fender. They have a great bass for that bolt-on, rock kind of feel, look and sound.

The nice Peavey stuff, especially the Cirrus, is a great, hi-fi clean, modern-toned bass.

Two different tools for two different types of use.

If you drop that and just consider overall quality and consistency accross all the price points, I might give Peavey a slight edge only because, despite recent efforts, Fenders laziness still shows on some of their stuff.

5. Plantman

Feb 5, 2001
    went out about a year & 1/2 ago to buy a new fender jazz bass.came home with a peavey curris 4 string. a great bass. as good as anything out there twice the price
  6. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Chas, I think your last sentence speaks VOLUMES!

Where I disagree with you, albeit mildly, is your "Two different tools for two different types of use"
    They are two "different" tools no doubt BUT they have the same intended hammer out notes!
    Maybe you think of them as two different spices to be used in cooking...this spice in this dish; that spice in another...that I can see.

Plantman, YOU have good taste!
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well said!! I have never heard it put quite that way before, but you said it very well.:)

I spent a few hours in a local music store on Friday that carries both Fender and Peavey. I played a few MIM Fenders, a few MIA's, and several Peavey basses; everything from the Fury's and the Grind BXP up the the Millenium Plus and a Cirrus Tiger Eye.

In my opinion, hands down, Peavey wins it on giving you the most bang for your buck. Their fit and finish was top notch, even on the low priced models. Fenders were good, but there were a few of them that were sub-par. The playability of both brands was very good (this store is notorious for spending the time to set their instruments up perfectly BEFORE putting them on display--very nice), with the Peavey's being a bit more consistent on the overall "feel". In the looks department, I have to go with Peavey all the way. Of course, there were no FMT Fenders there, just the standard painted/natural models. In the sound department, Peavey just seems to have much more to offer. Of course, if the tone you want is that of a Fender P or a Fender J, you might want to get the Fender, although Peavey does make a few models that will nail these tones damn near perfectly. Other than that, to me, the Peaveys were just more versatile.

I am sure I will catch some flack for giving Peavey the edge over Fender, but remember, this is my own opinion. Also, I am not biased because I own a Peavey Cirrus. I am also in the process of looking for a Fender MIA Precision Deluxe, just because the two basses that I own do not get "that sound".

I'm done now.;)
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ya gotta give Peavey Credit...they the T-40s were the first CNCed bassed, I believe...and heck they even made the G-bass...graphite for the buget bassist. Then theres the Cirrus.

Peavy or Fender? I DO like Fender Ps, OTOH, Peavey makes 6 stringers...

Eh, throw in one of each and I'll be happy...
  9. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    My current bass I use most is a Peavey Milestone V it's great but I also like Fender's alot too. My next bass is going to be a P-bass Deluxe. It's kind of a hard decision to say which company I like better.
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

What were your impressions of the Grind? I still have yet to see one of those locally. :(
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

My first quick impression of it was very good. I only played the BXP (cheaper, Korean? model), but I was impressed. It was a 4 stringer with the P/J pickups, 34" scale, in the blue color (not like that matters, but it did look very nice).

It had a very comfortable neck, something that I have come to expect from all Peavey basses. It had a very versatile EQ, I was able to get a wide range of sounds out of it. It nailed a pretty good P tone with the P pickup soloed, and adding the J pup made it sound very "alive". It balanced very well, both sitting and standing. They have very different bridges on them, nothing like I have seen before, but you can see all that from pics of them.

And the price of it was the best. The store had it marked at around $450, so I am guessing with a little haggling, I could have gotten it for around 4 bills, give or take. I seriously considered buying it, but I simply have too many other more expensive things on my wish list right now.:rolleyes:

That's about it. If I forgot to mention anything about it, feel free to ask. I am waiting for them to get in the American Grind, to see how much of a difference there really is between the two, aside from the obvious difference in scale length (I personally would rather have the 35" scale of the US model).
  12. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Peavey get's my vote hands down. First off,Fender's are just downright ugly in my opinion. Bolt on neck's are not a favorite of mine either nor are the 21 frets. I would rather have the versatility of 24 frets,neck-thru body contruction,active preamp and PU's,semi-exotic woods and of course the option of six strings. Where is the contest? I'm not saying Fender's don't sound good,indeed they do,but I believe you get more for your money with Peavey these day's. -Luke
  13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    This is a tough call. Certainly Peavey has come way, way up. I have a G-bass and a Millennium 5. They are terrific, especially the Millennium. But I also have a Fender American Deluxe P and it is a real sweet bass- great neck, great tone. So I hereby abstain from voting! :D
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's just what I needed to hear. I would also like to see how much of a difference there is between the Korean and American Grinds.

BTW, I've got two Jazz basses, a Millennium Plus and a Cirrus 5. I love all of them!