Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey vs. Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman_edge, Mar 24, 2001.

1. I was convinced that this summer I was going to get a Peavey 4x10 with a Peavey 1x15, but the other night this guy let me play his bass at his gig. It was a Carvin LB70 (very nice) through a Hartke system (same configuration as the Peavey one I was thinking about). Damn, that was some of the best sounding bass I've ever heard. However, I heard Hartke was unreliable. Any comments? Also, how are Carvin amps? Anyone have the 8x10?

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Hartke's sound great but they are notorious for blowing speakers. I saw more Hartke cabs come back with blown speakers than any other brand cabinet sold when I worked at a music store.

I cant make a fair comment on Carvin heads as Ive not played through one, but Ive heard they sound very good. I dont have the 8x10's either only the RL4x10 and I think its the best sounding cab Ive ever owned. So Id imagine that the 8x10's sound great as well. I'll let ya know when I order mine, Im only $300 away from it :)

3. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Go read this www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=12768 . It'll tell you about carvin amps. Best amp for the $$ but not the best amp ever. I still think it's a great amp though and I love it regardless. Oh yeah, The new 8x10 looks sweet. I'd get but I'd have to a get a truck to move it, and it costs money.

4. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    i heard that the hartke cabs were bad because of the speakers but i have a hartke 7000 head through a swr 4x10workingmans and it works nice

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have a Hartke 4/10 cabinet that I have gigged with for several years and have never had any problems with it.